Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

advice for plowing with a 300ex?

Old 12-13-2010, 04:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advice for plowing with a 300ex?

i have an '02 300ex and i was just wondering if there was any cheap plow kits online that i could purchase. also, for those who have plowed with a 300ex, was it easy? let me know with any advice. thanks

Old 12-13-2010, 06:06 PM
Pro Rider

Unless the snow is dry and less than 6", in my opinion, that is the wrong ATV to plow with. It's light, 2 wheel drive, solid axle, and manual clutch. You need a heavier machine, and although not absolutely necessary, 4 wheel drive is a plus, and an automatic is better because you can start slower. Just my 2 cents.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

yeahh i mean, when i bought it, i wasnt thinking about plowing with it. i know 4x4 would be way better than 2x4 but its what i have. i was just wondering if it would even be worth going forward with the plowing idea

Old 12-13-2010, 07:39 PM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!
Default Where?

Where are you from and what is an average snowfall at a time?

Old 12-13-2010, 07:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

im on the east coast of massachusetts. other than the 4 feet we got all at once one year, average snowfall is anything from a few inches to a tiny bit over a foot, usually really soft snow. im just sick of shoveling and i thought i could make some money by plowing for the neighbors but looking at the prices of the kits, it doesnt really look like theres much money to be made

Old 12-14-2010, 07:56 AM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!
Default Plowing

I have found that I am ok to plow in two wheel drive if I can start out where there is no snow (in the garage). If I have to drive through my yard to get to the driveway, I usually need four wheel drive. Something else to think about is that I am plowing with a full size utility quad, which obviously weighs more than your quad does. As far as price...I bought a brand new system off of rocky mountain atv for 359. Another option...especially since they probably dont sell a bolt on plate etc for your bike...my brother bought a used lawnmower plow on craigslist for like 50 bucks...he was able to use some steel he had laying around to make a mount plate and he was set. Much cheaper option. You will need a way to lift the plow ( I use a warn winch and so does my brother). With your bike having a live clutch you may run out of hands to hold the clutch and raise the plow (usually both on the left side). Good Luck and hope you save yourself some work.

Something else to keep in mind is that you have to live with your neighbors when it is not snowing too...I plow my neighbors' drives b/c I enjoy doing it and it saves them some work too (they appreciate it, but I certainly wouldn't charge them).
Mudslinger2

Old 12-14-2010, 08:55 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by mudslinger2
Something else to keep in mind is that you have to live with your neighbors when it is not snowing too...I plow my neighbors' drives b/c I enjoy doing it and it saves them some work too (they appreciate it, but I certainly wouldn't charge them).
Mudslinger2
Couldn't agree with you more on this one. I have a backhoe and I plow out neighbors when needed for free. We don't get much snow here so it's only maybe once a year but still, I enjoy helping them out. Obviously running a backhoe costs more than the few bucks that a 4 wheeler will. And my neighbors are always there for me when I need something that they can provide that I can't do for myself.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:42 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I see a guy plow not to bad on a 2wd Kawasaki 300 Bayou, he puts sand bags on his racks and chains on his back tires,seems to do a decent job.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

yeahh i agree with all of those comments. i wouldn't charge them but if someone were to plow my driveway i'd give them a few bucks. its common courtesy but i wouldnt ask for money nor would i get mad if they didnt pay me, just one helping another