Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda 2002 Rancher - gas dripping out of vent tube

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 12:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda 2002 Rancher - gas dripping out of vent tube

gas is dripping/running out of the vent tube to the carb on my 2002 350 Honda Rancher 4 wheel drive with electric shift. I have tapped on the carb but some seafoam in the gas tank but since it is leaking so bad haven't run much of the seafoam gas through it. Tried to spray seafoam deep creep up the vent tube. Didn't help. When I shut the gas valve off the drip finally stops. I have taken off the side panels and the seat. Removed the air cleaner box. I see that the vent tube has something clipped into the line and in looking at a carb drawing it said this was a one way valve. Could this be the problem? If I take it off and try to clean it in seafoam or carb cleaner will this fix it or will I need to buy a new one. Or, could the problem be that the carb is dirty inside and something with the float/seat is stuck or bad and leaking? Going the rest of the way and taking the carb off and apart looks like a pretty big job. Don't want to do this, put it back together and then find it still leaks and have to do it again. This Rancher has not been ridden hard and is other wise in good shape. While I am doing this I am also cleaning and oiling the air filter and changing the oil and filter. Thanks for your help, I am in this project up to my #@ right now and want to get if fixed before deer season. rgdunn

Old 11-07-2009, 12:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

The vent is just that; it's a vent and an overflow for the carb. If the needle /seat gets trash in it; it will overflow the carb and the fuel will come out of the vent/overflow.

Your carb is getting too much gasoline in the bowl. 95% of the time it will have some trash in it that keep the needle from closing off.

Take the carb apart and clean it real well and that should fix your problem.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:02 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This carb is a little prone to getting the float stuck by a little piece of grit that gets stuck under the needle. Has happened to me a couple times in the 10 years I have owned my 350. I fix it by going out and landing a few big jumps. This jars the float and allows the blockage to dislodge. If that doesn't do it...going to have to take the carb off and deal with it.....

Old 11-08-2009, 10:44 AM
Range Rover

Sometimes - if you just blow an airline through the fuel inlet on the carb , then that will dislodge the grit or whatever is holding the float valve from seating tight.A new fuel valve is occasionally needed.
After that - carb cleaner or seafoam -- and after that strip the carb.
BEWARE - check your oil level to make sure gas did not run into the oil. Also, I find it best to use a fuel strainer/filter when filling from a can.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider

same thing happened on my 03 rancher. i thot it was the float bowl getn stuck. i cleaned it and it workd for a cuple rides and then started doin it again. i ran out all the fuel in the carb and lines and that fixd it.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:16 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default appreciate help, current status

Thanks for all the good suggestions. I know the best thing to do is tear the carb apart and clean it but not sure I won't mess something up and have a bigger problem. I have the air box out, the side panels off, and tried tapping on the carb. Also bought some seafoam and put in gasoline, an ounce per gallon. I have been starting, running for a while and checking it. It is better. Where I had a full stream of fuel I now have a few drips.

If I take the carb off, take it completely apart and dunk it in solvent, should I have a carb kit or other parts on hand so I can replace gaskets or parts or should I just be able to clean and put it back together? I am assuming I should take the whole carb apart, jets out, etc. I can't just take the float bowl off and clean it?

What things will I need to re adjust after putting it back together? I saw something about being careful with a plastic nut and the heater wire (in another post). How do I get them off without tearing them up?

Thanks for all the help, rgdunn
2002 Honda Rancher
2007 KTM 450 EXC
1988 XR250R

Old 11-09-2009, 11:16 AM
Range Rover

You can leave the cables connected.....switch off gas....diconnect gas feed a.. turn carb upside down and remove the 4 bottom screws on the bowl. Be careful don't ring them - lightly use an impact driver if needed - but, repeat don't ring them.
Then remove the float - gently drive out the pin -only drives one way... use a nail if you haven't a fine punch - then take out the valve which is attached to the float.
Next - unscrew the jets - the brass screws facing down - soak them or blow them clean - or use a single wire to make sure you can see through the holes in their sides.
Go back to the plunger on the side - 2 screws - dismantle and clean.
If you have a new float valve - all the better.
If you have carb cleaner - blast it around the place - or seafoam.
A Q-Tip is ok for cleaning.
Next- gently remove the very bottom drain screw and check its gasket - blow some carb cleaner or air through it.
Put it all back together - don't worry about the jets - they will only tighten to seat.
Don't overtighten things.
95% of the time you have fixed things.
An hour tops should do it.
Possible that your fuel tank is contaminated with stuff - its not such a big job to take it off and swill it clean with fresh gas and a strainer/filter while you have the carb off - should prevent further trouble.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:39 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!

Originally Posted by reconranger
This carb is a little prone to getting the float stuck by a little piece of grit that gets stuck under the needle. Has happened to me a couple times in the 10 years I have owned my 350. I fix it by going out and landing a few big jumps. This jars the float and allows the blockage to dislodge. If that doesn't do it...going to have to take the carb off and deal with it.....
When this happened to me, I came here and read this advice from Recon to another poster from the past..... I followed it and it worked perfect..... I took it for a ride over some whoops, revved up/down the throttle a few hundred times and it was good as new...... That was back in April I think and I've had no problems since......

I was also told by some to tap on the carb with a screw driver which might have worked too.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:46 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

Originally Posted by ss97
When this happened to me, I came here and read this advice from Recon to another poster from the past..... I followed it and it worked perfect..... I took it for a ride over some whoops, revved up/down the throttle a few hundred times and it was good as new...... That was back in April I think and I've had no problems since......

I was also told by some to tap on the carb with a screw driver which might have worked too.

This will work best at high RPM when you are really sucking down the gas! The high rate of fuel flow, plus the jarring of the float on the jumps, are what you want. Best thing is you don't have to take anything apart. (This method also worked on my 400EX!)

Just tapping on the carb sitting in the garage, doesn't sound very effective to me.