Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

300EX swingarm bolt/frame

Old 01-05-2010, 09:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 300EX swingarm bolt/frame

I just purchased a 94 300EX knowing it needed lots of work which I figured me and my 14YO son could do together. It needs A-arm bushings, axle bearing all the way around and swingarm bearings.

The thing I noticed was that the swingarm bolt seems to move in the frame, does that mean that the bearings seized to the shaft which seized to the bolt and the bolt has been pivoting in the frame hole acusing it to enlarge? I need to get the machine into my beasement (bulkhead) to tear it down as its cold up hear in NH. Is this a common issue on 300EX's that have been severly neglected? How hard will it be getting the swingarm bolt out of the swingarm for swingarm removal?

Thanks guy's

Old 01-05-2010, 10:00 AM
Pro Rider

The bolt on my 250X (same thing as yours) came out easily and it wasn't turning in the frame. If I recall, the bolt tightens against an inner tube which is slightly longer than the swingarm. So, if your bolt is turning, it's probably not tight enough. Anyway, it should come out easily. Replacing the roller bearings is another matter. I think you need a bearing puller.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:47 PM
Trailblazer

My 250x had the same problem. The mounting hole on the frame is slightly damaged from it. I'll eventually get around to having someone weld a repair, but once I replaced the bolt and tightened it, it doesn't seem to move enough to matter.

Getting the old seized bolt out was a HUGE pain in the ***... I pounded on it for an hour... blasted it with a torch and finally ended up cutting it out with a sawz-all.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:51 AM
Pro Rider

What does the bolt seize to, the bearings? I know on the 400EX the bolt siezes insid ethe motor mount.

Once the bolt is out and the swigarm is removed why can't the bearing just be pounded out of the swingarm?

Old 01-06-2010, 09:23 AM
Trailblazer

I don't know what mine was seized to... I never got it apart. I had a spare swingarm from a parts bike that I'd bought. I pounded on the old one for a long while and the bolt never came out.

If you can leave the whole thing out in the cold for a while and then apply some heat to the swing arm, you might have an easier time getting it apart.

If not, used swing arms show up cheap on eBay all the time.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:43 AM
Pro Rider
Default Help

So I pulled the axle out to change the rear axle bearings before pulling the swingarm, no problem with the axle or bearings. Next I loosened the swingarm nut and put it back on the pivot bolt backwards and tried hitting with a hammer (nothing). I sprayed WD40 everywhere and turned the bolt back and forth the tried hitting it again (no movement). I got a sledge hammer (nothing). Next I am thinking of trying an air hammer on it but my compressor is broken so I guess I will have to buy a new compressor unless someone can give me some advice.

HELP!