Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2006 Honda Rancher 4x2 and snow plowing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 05:37 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Honda Rancher 4x2 and snow plowing?

Hey guys,

I'm just wondering how an 06 Honda Rancher ES 350cc 4x2 unit would work with regard to plowing snow? Reason I ask is I have the opportunity to purchase one with about 100 hours in mint condition for $2k. I'm seriously considering since I have an 02 Warrior, which is a ton of fun, but the Rancher may be a little more practical and easier to sell in the long run. I also like the fact that I can justify the purchase if it can be use to plow snow during the winter the couple snow storms we get. I also like the fact that I can ride with my GF on it. That's a lot more difficult on the Warrior, especially since she likes to sit in the front lol.

So just wanted to know what people's thoughs are on this? I'm sure the Honda is a solid bike. Just wondering how it would work with snow plowing? Not talking feet of snow, but we've gotten a decent amount this years. I'm thinking if I get the Rancher just sell the Warrior since I paid the same amount, and I think it will present well after I clean it up.

Thanks in Advance!

Old 05-07-2010, 07:54 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the rancher can handle it, no problem. the issue with plowing is traction. don't be skewed on a @WD's ability, they can do more than most people think. put some chains on the rear tires and weight down the rear rack to get traction, and you should be able to plow normal amounts of snow no problem. good luck!

Old 05-07-2010, 08:57 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alot will depend on the snow conditions and depth. If you are in a region that gets alot of light fluffy snow you will have no problems plowing 6-8 inches with weight on the rear rack (100lbs+). If you live in an area that gets wet heavy snow, you may be Ok plowing 2-4 inches with chains (on the rear tires) and weight (on the rear rack).
I regularly plow up to two and three feet with my rancher 4X4 of light fluffly snow here in Wyoming, but in the spring when we get wet and heavier snows, it gets tougher to plow much over a foot or so. Alot about plowing snow is not to try and push a full blade load at once. Another problem I have in the spring is the plow isn't heavy enough and wants to ride up and on top of the snow I am trying to push.
One factor is the rancher 2WD has the power.....it just doesn't have the traction.
Weight and good tires are alot of the key.
The one problem I can also see with the 2WD is getting in a snow bank too far and not being able to back-up. The 4WD works good for that since the weight of the plow on the front gives good weight to the front tires, allowing you to back-up easier, where the 2WD will have no traction on the front and lifting the plow will take weight off the rear wheels again reducing traction.