Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

My Recon 250 ES Shifter Problems

Old 06-28-2010, 10:59 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My Recon 250 ES Shifter Problems

My 2002 250 Honda Recon ES has always had shifting problems. Last year it stuck in 3rd gear and I could not get it out . I took it to my local dealer and they changed the angle sensor and then pulled the front cover off the engine to check the clutch. The cost at that point was 450.00 and I would not allow them to continue with and undetermined problem or ending cost . About two months later while in the barn I decide to rock it a little and it released and my gears were working again. The ES was not but you could manually change the gears with the emergency shifter. I used the bike this way for weeks but the first gear light continues to blink. I installed a new angle sensor again and the next day it was stuck in gear again. It remained stuck for two more months but it was stuck in 4th and the kids could still ride it . Last Saturday I took it out and after riding about 20 minutes I moved the crank shifter with my hand and it changed gears like there had never been a problem. I used the bike about 3 hours after that with no problem using the emergency shifter. I loaded the bike back on my truck, drove 3 hours back to my house to unload and it was stuck in gear again. (What could my problem be!)

Old 06-28-2010, 03:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you checked the shifter motor?

I'm not familiar with the Recon ES,( we have a manual shift Recon), but there is an electric motor that moves the shifting mechanism. It could be bad.

You could try cleaning all the electrical connections in the ES circuit and see what that does but from what you describe, it's most likely the shift motor.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:41 PM
Range Rover

on ES and hondamatics, i leave it to the dealer. they're just too complicated for me. if its hanging up in gear, even with the manual shifter, then sounds like a bad gearbox to me.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default moving again !

I read a post on either this site or another one yesterday that stated , holding the shifter rod up while giving the engine a little gas will raise the rpm and cause the clutch to release . I tried this yesterday. I held the emergency shifter rod up while holding the brake and bringing up the rpms by giving it gas but had no luck, I then tried putting it into reverse while holding the emergency shifter rod down while giving it a little gas and it slipped into reverse and now I can now change gears again manually . I know that this is not the best thing to do but it has me moving again and that alone temporally makes me happy.

Thanks

The following users liked this post:
Christopher Garrison (12-05-2020)
Old 07-11-2010, 08:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

I was out side working in the yard today and playing with the recon, I decided to reinstall the angle sensor for the 4th time (thinking what could it hurt)
I installed it and then tried to changed gears but it just clicked once and locked itself back into 4th gear. I mean once it locks itself into a gear you can't manually take it out. (I just smiled ) because I want to see if the method that I tried two weeks ago would force it our of gear again and ( It did) After forcing if out the ES would change from 4th to 5th but would not go below 4th . I notice while clicking from 4th to fifth that there was something else different ( my first gear light was not flashing anymore ) I then manually shifted it to first and the ES wouldn’t do anything . I then turned it off and back on. The ES not only went from 1st to 2nd then 3rd 4th and 5th. I can not believe that it is working again. It has not worked in over a year. I don’t really know what worked or why everything started working again but after riding for two hours I am very pleased.
With all of that said I can’t say thanks enough to everyone on this site that post their question and their replies. So again Thanks guys for all the help with getting my ATV back running .

Old 09-19-2010, 07:18 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default es problems

I have an 04 recon es and I had same problem with mine...changed angle sensor still nothing...It stayed stuck in fourth and i could not shift electricaly or manualy...I put it in shop and they fixed it..they said that a nut had come loose in the shifter drum which is the cylinder shaped part on the lower right front of engine...after fixing the nut I have not had any problems since...however they also toldme to be prepared to have that fixed quite often. apparently there are few of problems with the eltronic shift design on recons. Usually if your angle sensor is bad it will stop shifting electronically while riding but if you turn it off then start it again it will work...so if you are not able to shift manually it will not be the sensor.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

call this number 601-659-9931. i promise you he can help you. He sells bolt on hand and foot shifters for ES models

Old 01-19-2011, 08:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Justin

Originally Posted by fourtraxhonda300
on ES and hondamatics, i leave it to the dealer. they're just too complicated for me. if its hanging up in gear, even with the manual shifter, then sounds like a bad gearbox to me.
My #1 lighter indicater is blinking but it wont shift Im not sure what to do.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 2002 Recon and the #1 light is blinking and it will not shift

Old 12-05-2020, 09:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

So, i know this is an old thread however i am dealing with similar issues on a 2004 honda recon 250
FYI! as soon as you touch the emergency lever the light will flash a code on the #1 normally indicating either ecm, angle sensor, or shift motor.

i have a problem of it gets to 3rd gear and will not shift any higher. we replaced angle sensor, put all new gears in the housing where motor goes, still got nothing. We flipped it on its *** and tore it back down again to find a loose bolt on what i think is the shift forks. after tightening this bolt it start to shift like it should. However This morning when i went to test drive it again it at first work no problem but after about 20 min of idling (trying to get it warmed up it was cold) went to ride again stopped at 3rd once again! Looks like i will be tipping it back up and seeing if that bolt has worked itself loose again or if there is another issue here. REMEMBER there is also an adjustment screw on the front just above the es motor for the clutch as well but i have adjusted this to it's limits and it still wont shift past 3rd and this is what it was doing before.

will advise outcome!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Recon 250 ES Shifter Problems