Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

1987 TRX350 Electrical- NO SPARK- HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 08:14 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IT HAS SPARK NOW!!!!!

Well I had another forum member send me pictures of the wires that go into the CDI- I had 2 in the wrong place (done by previous owner).

My new CDI came in and I was leary about trying it - thinking it would not work and I missed something - WELL it Sparked with new CDI. (the exact part number replacement).

Does she run? Don't know yet - I went to screw in plug and the previous owner messed up the plug threads so it would only go in half way. Purchased an M12x1.25 Tap yesterday and cleaned it out and plug goes in fine and is tight- Now I have to put head back on and see if she runs.
(I took the head cover and head off so that I could work on the bench and not get anything into the cylinder, and also clean things up a little and inspect the cylinder.

I will put on a temp fuel tank (gravity fed) and hope that she runs.

Thanks for all the help and I will keep you posted.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Did you ever get it running?

Old 06-29-2011, 06:43 AM
Trailblazer

yes- And I love it- Found it was the CDI- Had alot of help from another member who lives in Arkansas-(thanks Alan). She is a tank - although it is rather hard to shift using foot on this old girl I have added a hand shifter to assist and works great. Not a race rocket but a Work Horse.
Found a new used fuel sending unit during the winter and have yet to put it on- hopefully that will make the fule lights work.
Good luck-

Old 10-20-2012, 11:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by sawmill_jeff
I am by no means an expert, but I bought a 1987 TRX350D a couple months ago with electrical problems and learned a little by working on it.
Here are a couple of things to try:
1) bypass the run/stop switch. Mine was giving flaky readings. Find the natural colored 4pin connector from the handlebars on the right/front side and jumper the Black/Green wire in this connector to the Black/White wire bullet connector next to it (goes back to the CDI).
2) confirm that CDI is the correct one. I think that the CDI in the 1987 TRX350D is unique to that model year; no other year or model had the same CDI. Is it possible that the previous owner tried a different CDI and never got it to work? The CDI on my 1987 was a Shindengen HA7 C1537.

Keep at it, you'll figure it out!
WHERE can I buy this same CDI for my 1987 Honda 350 Fourtrak Foreman 4x4?
It has the "Shindengen HA7 Ca537" also.....I have NO FIRE at the plug. The CDI had a bad wire a few weeks ago and a guy fixed it and got it running for me to load backk on the trailer....afterwards it start on CHOKE......but wouldn't run otherwise...and NOW "NOTHING"......I did check that wire he fixed....it came back off. So I put a New End on it inside the plugin and even soldered that wire to the new connector.....I had a 'stroke' and my mind don't work well....and I'm not electrically equiped or knowledgeable on 'stuff' either......I need this bike to RUN so I can get some enjoyment out of life so I'm not just sitting here in the house! I can't walk far and I'm dizzy when on my feet. I have been looking on 'the net' for a CDI....to no avail.....WHERE can I find one??????
Thanks much.......Herm

Old 10-31-2012, 07:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Did you check the n.safty switchand they sometimes have more safty switches.
If the voltage is low at the coil.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:19 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default "FIRE" at Plug ""NONE""

Well, I put a NEW CDI on it now....still NO FIRE! ..... so, I pulled the Ignition Coil and spark plug wire ..... ?? I thought I heard 'snapping' there (like a short) when trying to start engine and then I 'thought' I smelled "rubber burning", so I stopped trying to start engine and pulled the ignition coil and wire....... the wire part feels 'flimsy' at one spot (like a break inside the insulation)....but no visible sign of rubber burning or break in wire (looking at it from outside the insulation).

My mind don't work right after the 'stroke' and I get confused easily (and frustrated). I live in 'the sticks' and 25 miles away from a small motorcycle shop and 50 miles away from a Harley/Honda Dealer shop....

TELL ME "WHAT TO DO" please! At $65 plus dollars a hour for labor I can't afford to take it to a shop and leave it........Is there a way to check out the COIL IGNITION and wire going to the plug????? Can a regular auto shop check this for a break inside the wire ???? (on a OHM Meter or something?)

Awaiting some REPLYS ..... I guess I'm now 'old & dumb' ..... Sorry! I can give you a phone # and get back with you......(618) 576-2744..... HERM .... Thank You!!!

Old 11-01-2012, 09:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

Useally any auto shop can check the coil .
also check the stator to make sure it is working

Old 11-01-2012, 09:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

What is the STATOR ??? and what does it do??? and where is it located at ????
Thanks, Herm

I just had a automotive shop check the Ignition Coil wire.....they said they think it is very "LOW" in current thru coil.....but the wire itself has current flowing thru it to the plug....(so no break in it I guess)......but the Coil must be bad ???? Your Thoughts ????
Herm

Old 11-01-2012, 01:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

I drove to a Boat/Motorcycle ATV Shop and they tested the Ignition Coil....it IS BAD! So I ordered a new one and it will come tomorrow (Friday) for pick-up at their shop. ($53.00 Total) ........Hope (cross my fingers), this will solve my firing problem!
Herm

Old 03-07-2017, 02:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 87 Honda Foreman trx350D 4x4 no spark

No spark! New coil new OEM CDI box HA7-CI537 for a 87 charged battery Still no spark all fuses are good. Turn the key on no fan but fan really clicks? Positive and negative from battery to the fan won spin or anything would the fan throw it in safety mode causing no spark? Or could it be a bad pulse pick up? Ran the end of last summer hit a bump or hard bump and quad would shut off??? Any help and thanks!!!

Quick Reply: 1987 TRX350 Electrical- NO SPARK- HELP