Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

newcomer question

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 05:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newcomer question

Im new to my ATV and this forum, glad to be here. Quick question for anyone that has insight. I bought my Honda with no title. Everyone told me it was not a problem, but now my insurance friend is telling me she would hunt down the title if it were her in the event that someone stole my ATV, then I would not be able to show proof of ownership. Should I hunt down the title, pay the property tax and all the fees involved to cover myself from theft, or not worry about it, just get it insured for liability purposes and take the risk of theft. Sorry for the long question, but just needed some guidance. 1st time owner here and appreciate any help. Good day

Old 02-01-2011, 06:01 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sbboan
Im new to my ATV and this forum, glad to be here. Quick question for anyone that has insight. I bought my Honda with no title. Everyone told me it was not a problem, but now my insurance friend is telling me she would hunt down the title if it were her in the event that someone stole my ATV, then I would not be able to show proof of ownership. Should I hunt down the title, pay the property tax and all the fees involved to cover myself from theft, or not worry about it, just get it insured for liability purposes and take the risk of theft. Sorry for the long question, but just needed some guidance. 1st time owner here and appreciate any help. Good day
welcome to the forum!

as for hunting down your title.... I'd say 1/2 of the atv's sold don't have titles either because they never had one to begin with or the owner lost it.

As for buying a stolen atv- just simply run the vin#- which is free.

A simple hand written bill of sale is all you really need in any state for an atv- even states that "require" a certificate of origin or title there's always a form to fill out if you don't have it-

Personally, I wouldn't lose sleep over it... but that's me.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:44 PM
Pro Rider

Title? What is a title?

Old 02-01-2011, 07:09 PM
2 strokes or 4

Pretty much unless it's bought new and you have a new title or registration once it's stolen consider it gone. That's how it is in La. for the most part.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:32 PM
Trailblazer

I just applied for a new "title" myself just in case

Old 02-08-2011, 10:11 AM
Trailblazer

how did it turn out

Old 02-08-2011, 10:28 AM
Pirate Biker
Limping Rider!
Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts

I myself would never by an atv without a title!!
In the state of Washington you are required to have a title and cannot change regristrations without it.
If the seller does not have a title then you have to apply for a lost title, wait 90 days to see if it is/has been reported stolen. If no theft report, then you are issued a "new" title.
If it has been reported stolen, it is returned to the rightful owner.