Go Back   ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community » Brand Discussions Area » Honda
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to ATVConnection Forums!
Welcome to ATVConnection.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the ATVConnection Forums community today!

Old 11-27-2010, 03:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Garage is empty, add now

Default 400ex Stuck swingarm pivot bolt

Ok, I've been spraying this flippin bolt for 2 weeks with PB Blaster and beating it with a sledge and its not budging. I can rotate the bolt but that's about it. I tried a propane torch and well I'm afraid to ruin the bushing in the motor. I broke the nut and at this point the bolt (threaded end) is mushrooming over pretty good. Soo... this leaves me to cutting the bolt but I'm not sure where to actually cut it. Well I know I'll make one cut shown by the red circle but I don't know where to make the second cut to be able to remove the arm.

Click the image to open in full size.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:02 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Garage is empty, add now

If the bolt will spin then try this. Have a buddy turn the bolt while you bang on the other end at the same time. Use something just a bit smaller than the bolt itself so it doesn't mushroom anymore. You should be able to find some metal rod at the local hardware store fairly cheap. Also, it may help to have an air impact wrench to turn the bolt more quickly and consistently.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:24 PM
Pro Rider
1987 Honda TRX250X

I don't know anything about the 400 ex but it seems like there's a snap ring around it that is holding it.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Garage is empty, add now

well i landed up getting it out. 2 cuts with the sawzall (between the frame and swingarm) then landed up making a cut with a 4" - 4/12" cutoff wheel on the right side of the engine. I cut a little at a time, then rotated the bolt/spacer and repeated. Lastly, I landed up using a dremel tool with the 90 degree head on it with a cut off wheel. After I realized that I was cutting the bushing that's in the engine, I moved over and cut, rotated, cut, rotated. It was a slow process but its out. Just hoping that the mistake cut on the engine bushing isn't going to give me any issues.

I did find out where the issue was... once I removed the arm and smacked the left side of the swing arm with a hammer, millions of pieces of the
bearing" fell out.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:56 PM
Pro Rider
1987 Honda TRX250X

Now that makes sense. Glad to hear it's out. I bet you are glad too.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:19 AM
Trailblazer
Garage is empty, add now

I had to cut the bolt out of my 450r right beside the frame. The needles had wore a small groove in the bolt and wouldn't slide out but so far. Good job! Next one I do, I'll go ahead and cut it.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Garage is empty, add now

i have the same problem on my 2001 400ex, can you upload a picture with markings exactly where u made the successful cuts? thanks, Ive tried just about everything else and it wont budge!
Old 02-07-2011, 09:59 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Garage is empty, add now

You need a air chisle to push on it. The vibration does the work. Worked on some of the toughest swingarm bolts for me.
I should explain:: I used a blunt ended chisle to push it thru.
Kymco Mongoose
TRX350 Rancher
Those that believe in the system have yet to live it.
mooreracing@windstream.net
814-922-7470
Old 02-07-2011, 07:29 PM
Pirate Biker
Limping Rider!
2005 Ford F350
My Garage

Send a message via MSN to Red400EXRod

This is a common occurance on the 400ex

Who gives a **** about where Obama was born, it's where he lives now that's the problem.

Ride Pictures
Old 02-07-2011, 07:29 PM

Tags
400ex, arm, bolt, cut, cutting, engine, honda, pivot, remove, removing, seized, spacer, stuck, swing, swingarm