Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Gas milleage on 400ex, Banshee, Sport

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-1999, 10:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am currently looking for a new ATV and have narrowed my choices down to these three machines.

I was wondering what the gas milleage or basically how many hours can these quads run for on one tank of gas?

By looking at specs, the Sport (2x4 Scrambler 400L) has the largest tank at 4 gallons, the Banshee comes in second with 3.2 gallons, and the 400ex comes in third with 2.6 gallons. Therefore I would say the Sport can go the longest on a tank of gas but tank capacity does not tell the whole story.

Old 10-19-1999, 10:53 PM
Trailblazer

You got that right! I have a slightly modified 400ex and i can go all day on it with one tank of gas. I've never owned a banshee but since it's a two stroke i'd imagine that it would run out of gas first. Though to me gas mileage would be the least of my concerns when choosing an atv.. Good luck!

Old 10-20-1999, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider

Pancake,

The Ex has great mileage. I can run for 4-5 hours hard on a tank. The banshee's need more fuel (especially the modified one). He has to refuel twice as often. (Although he roasts the Ex in top speed and power )

As for choosing your machine, don't base it on gas mileage.

Base it on your terrain and riding preferences.

When comparing the EX and Banshee it is generally accepted that the EX rules in woods and the Banshee rules in the sand. If you have a riding area with a lot of open, long runs, the you will appreciate the Banshee. If you have riding which has lots of trails, hill climbs, jumps, then you will appreciate the EX.

The Sport is not a really good jumper. It is pretty good in the woods and sand but it doesn't beat the Banshee or EX. However, in it's defense, it is a simple quad to learn to ride, it has reverse, and you can modify the thing from 36hp to 60hp!

(You can also modify the Ex and Banshee as well).

I wouldn't buy a Sport. I would buy an EX, then an Banshee, then the Sport. I would be pretty happy with a Banshee if I couldn't have an EX. The Banshees are pretty capable in the woods, but not better than the EX. The opposite is true for the EX in the sand.

Whatever your choice, get one, and get rippin'

RM

------------------
99 400EX 95 Scrambler 400 85 LT250R

Old 10-20-1999, 04:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At last. A really good post that's right on the mark.

What's happened to the forums? I lay off for about a month, and everyone is sooo nice and helpful. What a relief.

Oh, and to the point - What else can I say? Buying a sport quad and looking at gas mileage don't go hand in hand. On thing to keep in mind though, any of these three quads will tire you out when ridden hard, long before you run out of gas. Besides, that's what desert tanks are for.

SandmanBlue

Old 10-20-1999, 05:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey thanks for the quick reply!

It helps knowing that the EX can go for about 5 hours without refueling. Yah I was a bit skeptical about the Banshee, I didn't think a tank of gas would last long. I used to own a CR125 and a tank would only last for about 3 hours and that was a 2 gallon tank. On the other hand the quad I have now only has a 2.5 gallon tank and will run for a good 6 hours on that, however it is also a 4 stroke. So it's hard to tell.

The reason I was inquiring about how long a tank of fuel lasts is because my friends and I occasionally go out for 5 or 6 hour rides, and in my area there are no gas stations near the trails. So I'd need a machine that could go for that length of time.

Also you were asking what type of terrain I would be riding. I ride a lot of dirt trails (mud, clay, loam) and thats where the EX would shine, but we also ride through a lot of orchards and open fields to get from trail to trail, which is where the Banshee would shine. So it's a toss up. But I think for my purposes the EX would be the ideal machine because in some spots we really have to take it slow, and the Banshee, like most two strokes, would be a pain to ride slow, whereas the EX is capable of just taking it slow, because it is a 4 stroke, without giving the rider a hard time. Well I'll just have to give both a try and then make my decision.

Thanks for your help

Old 05-05-2011, 01:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Arrow banshee bad on gas

yea i have a 04 banshee with fatty pipes and bored .020 over and it drinks more gas than my car. it costs me over 50 bucks a week in gas so if u want to spend money on that then have fun. when running there is no bike to compare it to. they are great trail bike with their power band. i think im going to buy a 400ex so it saves me gas money and take the banshee out ocasionally

Old 05-05-2011, 04:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

You win dude.

You have officially brough back the oldest thread I have ever seen!!!!