Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2 stroke: No idle and carb gas overflow?

Old 04-24-2011, 04:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2 stroke: No idle and carb gas overflow?

This is a 97' CR80 (I'm already a member on this website I know it is not an ATV)

The bike does not idle but seems to run fine besides that, the idle screw is almost all the way in (probably 1 turn out give or take) I tried adjusting the idle at the throttle linkage on the bars with no luck. Not sure if the jets are stock or not, and when the bike is off (and maybe when it is on I don't know) the gas spills from the overflow tube on the bottom of the carb bowl, quite a bit too I'm not sure if that has to do with the idle screw on the carb being so far in or not? The bike WILL idle if I turn the screw in farther (pretty much all the way in) but it dosen't seem very stable in that far, the idle will be higher after you rev and takes a while to come back down unless I back the screw out a little. Any ideas??

Old 04-24-2011, 05:57 PM
Pro Rider

to big on the pilot jet turning in that screw restrics air flow and lets more fuel in but thats just my op and by no means am i a carb guy

Old 04-24-2011, 10:12 PM
Pro Rider

Not sure which one that is, I only see two, one is air/fuel which I think it's burning decently, maybe a tiny bit rich but that's on purpose (30:1)

That leaves me with the large screw with the spring on it which I assume is the idle/pilot which appears to just open or close the carb and not make any jet changes. The gas coming out of the overflow is what I am confused about

Old 04-25-2011, 04:26 AM
2 strokes or 4

Needle valve is worn, and not seating allowing fuel to pass through and overfill the bowl and run out the overflow tube. Try cleaning the carb. first it may have trash on the needle valve not letting it close all the way.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:41 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by sdm111
Needle valve is worn, and not seating allowing fuel to pass through and overfill the bowl and run out the overflow tube. Try cleaning the carb. first it may have trash on the needle valve not letting it close all the way.
I ended up doing some research last night and came up with the same results, floats must be stuck (yet it runs fine?) I am hoping that is what is causing it not to idle, I did blow out the jets with compressed air and everything else seemed clean I guess I did not look it over carefully enough.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:17 PM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!

Originally Posted by PinkFloydEffect
I ended up doing some research last night and came up with the same results, floats must be stuck (yet it runs fine?) I am hoping that is what is causing it not to idle, I did blow out the jets with compressed air and everything else seemed clean I guess I did not look it over carefully enough.
Yes, carb cleaning is an art. An art I do not possess. I give them to my brother. What you are describing I've seen a dozen times. The EXACT circumstances. Everytime it happened it was after I cleaned one. haha. Usually when floats stuck it will run, not good, but will run. The high idle when you rev it. Yup, been there. Go through the carb again and clean, clean, clean. Take the jets out. If you have a cutting torch tip cleaner they work great to get into the small holes.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:42 AM
Pro Rider

Adjust your float level! Over time it will bend the tab on the float and over fill the bowl.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:35 AM
Pro Rider

This time I will actually unscrew the jets and get a better blast of air, and I never thought about the float tab bending! Good catch, I will look into this on Friday and get back to you with my results. Thanks

Old 04-29-2011, 08:33 PM
Pro Rider

I took the WHOLE THING apart cleaned everything with carb cleaner blew both jets out in my hand with compressed air (by the way the larger one says 125 on it does that mean it's a CR125 jet?) I also checked the needle and it closes before the float reaches the top like it should I think, and the tip is rubber not metal as most are I have seen so maybe the rubber swelled up or shrunk. After the cleaning it pours even more gas! please help.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

u muct clean super thoroghly ive cleaaned the same carb three times i was so happy on the third time whne it worked fine i hate cleannin carbs must be super thorough

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2 stroke: No idle and carb gas overflow?