Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda Electric Shift (ES) Problem Solved

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 10:58 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chris50362

I have a 2008 Honda Rancher 420 ES. A few years ago I had a problem with it not shifting or sounding sluggish when trying to shift. As well, the display would often flash a bar or flash the gear the machine was stuck in.

After checking the net and finding no real answer to the situation, I read that the problem may be a 'shift angle sensor' or 'bank angle sensor'. After purchasing a new shift angle sensor @$100. as well as cleaning the shift motor, the problem soon came back....today, two years later.
Interseting, I have a 2007 TRX420EF that has started this same problem. It will lock in gear do the flash the gear or bar as yours did also. I have also noticed that while its stuck I don't hear the shift motor either. If i turn the ATV off then turn the ignition back on I can get it to shift to neutral. I can then start the ATV and get a few shifts out of it then it locks back in gear again. so from what I have been reading sounds like I should try cleaning the angle sensor first then take a look at the motor.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Chris - The internet is a wonderful thing. It allows a knucklehead like me to find people like you to solve problems. Going to pull the shifter motor out tomorrow and clean as you suggested.

Thanks,

Erik

Old 03-21-2014, 08:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

After removing and cleaning the angle sensor mine has been working fine.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:13 AM
Pro Rider

Yup 95% of the time that there is a electric shifting problem it is a sensor. Whether it be cleaning or replacing, it's very easy to do. I think the "angle" sensor is only in the rubicon. It's changes the angle of the swash plate in the hondamatic transmission.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default honda es bolt on shifter

Originally Posted by chris50362
I just thought I would post my findings and solution to the numerous posts I've found all over the www regarding Honda ES models and shifting problems.

I'm sure I may have some critics but take it for what it's worth.

I have a 2008 Honda Rancher 420 ES. A few years ago I had a problem with it not shifting or sounding sluggish when trying to shift. As well, the display would often flash a bar or flash the gear the machine was stuck in.

After checking the net and finding no real answer to the situation, I read that the problem may be a 'shift angle sensor' or 'bank angle sensor'. After purchasing a new shift angle sensor @$100. as well as cleaning the shift motor, the problem soon came back....today, two years later.

Today I started the machine for the first time this year, and again it won't upshift into 1st. The shift motor sounded sluggish. Back into the garage, pulled apart the shift motor, gave it a cleaning and it's shifting like gangbusters, no problems.

What I have found is that the carbon build up on the 'brushes' and the 'communicator' limits sufficient current to be passed to the motor, in turn limiting it's effectiveness to properly shift gears. My fix is to take some fine grit (600-1000) sandpaper, wrap it around the 'communicator' which is part of the armature, and turn, thus cleaning off the black carbon build up. Once cleaned the communicator will appear as a bright copper color. This will result in good electrical contact between the brushes and the communicator/armature. I then take the same paper and run a couple passes over the contact surface of the brushes. You could probably use a solvent to clean the brushes. Be careful the brushes are delicate.

Putting the motor back together takes some dexterity. Place the armature in the brush housing first. You'll have to use a small screw driver to push the brushes aside while pushing the armature back in. Then put the cylindrical housing over the armature. I think the rest you should be able to figure out.

Hopes this helps.
I had the same problem with my shifter and I found a solution on ebay of a bolt on foot shifter. It was a very inexpensive fix seeing that a local mechanic was going to charge me $1000 to fix. I decided to order the bolt on shifter on ebay and it came in the mail pretty quickly with directions for me to install. It was very simple and now my Honda is running great.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:58 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by davecrash
After removing and cleaning the angle sensor mine has been working fine.
I have a 99 Forman ES and my ES quit working. I download the Honda Service manual for this model and been going through their steps a troubleshoot the problem and I've got the gear motor and angle sensor in my hand now and off the motor.
The manual says to check the ohms on the blue_green/yellow_red pins of the sensor.
I get a low value of 129ohm up to 5.5Kohms when I turn the shaft.
Well the manual says that the sensor is normal if the change in moving from UP one gear to the next is less than 0.4 and moving DOWN it is greater than 0.6 to the next gear.
So at the ohm reading I'm seeing in the K ohms it looks like my sensor is bad.

Agree??

Old 10-01-2014, 02:42 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

To be honest, we just fit a known "god one" and, if the fault goes away we have cured it, if the fault stays on we have to look elsewhere and the "good one" goes back in the stores. I would dismantle the motor before going to the expense of a new angle sensor. If the motor is OK it probably is the sensor, but I have had switch boxes go bad too. This assumes you can change manually, if you can't, you probably have a selector problem.

Old 10-03-2014, 08:14 AM
Trailblazer

ES problem Identified last night.
I was going through the Service Manual step in section 21 for ES issues.

I was testing the BK/G wire on the 16P connector that plugs into the ECU and found it was MISSING. I reached up into the fork area and found the loose BK/G wire, still with the copper wire exposed on the end. This wire goes back to the Fuse box under the seat for power. I think a stick got shoved up under there and pulled that wire out of the back of the connector plug.
It's the most outside wire of the plug so it was most exposed to anything coming up in that area.

I got the metal pin out of the plug not to find a replacement and crimp it to the wire and see if that will solve my issues.
I'll post a picture later.

gary

Old 10-27-2014, 10:10 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default tip to get brushes back in

If you can, use small rubber bands around brush and housing this holds brushes in place so you can put it back together easier

JR

Old 03-14-2015, 07:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default simple easy honda es fix

The problem
I have a 06 Rancher 350 es. The angle sensor went bad a few months back put a new one in. This year was getting it ready for a spring ride and found that it wouldnt shift. It also had a dead battery. Read that a dead battery would solve the problem it didnt. I was getting a cpu code indicated by counting the flashes on the display. I tryed checking and cleaning all connections with no change. I already had a new angle sensor.I pulled the shift motor off and cleaned the brush contact and jumped the motor useing a hot wire to make sure it worked. Put it back together but no luck.

The fix
I deside instead of forking over hundreds of dollars for a cpu I had a winch controler sitting around so i wired the controler to the shift motor and it works like a champ.

Quick Reply: Honda Electric Shift (ES) Problem Solved