Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Anyone see that Can Am is releasing a smaller version of their Outlander called the L

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 12:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone see that Can Am is releasing a smaller version of their Outlander called the L

It appears that Can Am is releasing a smaller version of their Outlander called the 450L and the 500L. A quick look at the specs seems to put the Can Am closer to the Honda Rancher with regard to size. However 450/500L will offer better ground clearance, more power, more comfort, and better wheels and tires. I have always been a Honda Guy ( I currently have a Rancher 420 4x4 manual shift) with over 5000 miles. It has been a great ATV but now that I am in my upper 30s I am not as quick to recover after a ride on this thing. This past weekend my father-in-law and I rode 102 miles in one day in northern NH (ride the wilds) and by the end of the day my arms felt like I did 1000 pushups my wrists and elbows especially ached, but my back was pretty beat-up too. So I am getting to the point that long rides may not be that compelling in the near future on my Rancher between no power steering and stiff rear suspension. I heard Can Am's provide a supple ride and given that I am 5'9 185 lbs. a mid size ATV is perfect for me and now it looks like the Can Am L would also fit the bill. So what do you all think about the up coming L. I can't believe I am even considering a Can Am but that might be what I need to keep me enjoying the trails. I just wish Honda would make the Rancher with 25 inch (even rim size) tires and wheels and better suspension. I know a new Rancher AT with power steering and IRS is on the way I sure hope it is great but will most likely be a the same as the 2013's with the new plastic of the 2014's. Anyway here is the link to the new Can Am L

Outlander L | Can-Am Off-Road US

Old 07-09-2014, 01:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Im new to atv connection could somebody please tell me how to post a forum

Old 07-09-2014, 03:19 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The old 400 outlander had more power then the 420 Rancher 32hp vs 27hp.
The new 450 (427cc) Outlander that replaced the 400 is rated at 38hp. Almost the same hp as the 680 Rincon which is rated at 39hp.

Can-Am has the new 450 in one of their side by sides I think.

The 500 Outlander has not changed much here is their specs side by side
2015 Can-Am Outlander™ L 500 ATVs same 40hp 500 twin they always had.

Can-AM is known for big hp out of small displacement while Honda is known for low hp for their displacement classes.
Not much can change that as long as Honda sticks with its old school OHC motors while everyone else uses higher reving OHVs.

I just wish Honda would make the Rancher with 25 inch (even rim size)
Whats rims have to do with tires size?
Just take the 24" tires off the Rancher and put on 25" tires.
My friends 420 Rancher has 26" Mud Witches on his stock Rancher rims.

But yes its odd to see little 24" tires on a 420 4x4 Even my old 350 Grizzly had 25" tires stock and I upped them to 26" Zillas.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:30 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

True story this so no trolls please. We got an Outlander EFI in as a trade in against a Suzuki. Not sure if it was 400 or 440, anyway we didn't want to sell it to someone and have to stock spares etc for one bike, also experience with a 400 Bombadier had taught us that they were not the best bikes for reliability. However we were short of a courtesy bike so sent it out against broken down bikes and servicing. Nobody liked the Outlander, opinions ranged from, "I'm glad to get my bike back" to "I wouldn't have that thirsty piece of "expletive" if you paid me." This included one person who was so vocal in his dislike for it, I wondered what machine he had that was so superior, he went to the row of bikes waiting for their owners and found his bike, a mid 1990s Honda 300 Big Red!

Something went wrong with the fuel injection system on the Outlander and rather than fix it we sold it on to a Can-Am dealer as it stood.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:38 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by merryman
True story this so no trolls please. We got an Outlander EFI in as a trade in against a Suzuki. Not sure if it was 400 or 440, anyway we didn't want to sell it to someone and have to stock spares etc for one bike, also experience with a 400 Bombadier had taught us that they were not the best bikes for reliability. However we were short of a courtesy bike so sent it out against broken down bikes and servicing. Nobody liked the Outlander, opinions ranged from, "I'm glad to get my bike back" to "I wouldn't have that thirsty piece of "expletive" if you paid me." This included one person who was so vocal in his dislike for it, I wondered what machine he had that was so superior, he went to the row of bikes waiting for their owners and found his bike, a mid 1990s Honda 300 Big Red!

Something went wrong with the fuel injection system on the Outlander and rather than fix it we sold it on to a Can-Am dealer as it stood.
don't know about the 400 outty- but my 1000 outty max xt gets fantastic gas mileage! better than polaris, which has a smaller engine.

and... anyone who rides another bike for the first time that isn't their own is gonna hate the new bike. a lot of people who ride a can-am for the first time find it hard to get used to the strong engine braking- there's almost no coasting with an outlander, as soon as you release the throttle, the atv nearly stops without using any brakes.

anyway- as someone who's owned many honda 4x4 atv's & sport quads- I'd never go back to a honda atv again! horrible ride compared to any of the outlanders. if anything, I'd buy another polaris xp sportsman far before considering any honda.

I just did 200+ miles up in the north woods Nh area, (ride the wilds) and couldn't have been more comfortable or happier with the ride my outlander 1000 put out- 10x better than the honda rincon or my rancher!

Old 07-10-2014, 08:42 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Oooops!
Not much can change that as long as Honda sticks with its old school OHC motors while everyone else uses higher reving OHVs.
Sorry had that backwards Honda is the only ones to use lower revving OHV motors in their 4x4s while everyone uses SOHC or DOHC even Honda but only in their sport ATVs.

Honda does have a IRS version of the Rancher which helps the ride comfort and ground Clearance and even rear braking since Drum brakes do not work on a IRS rear end only Disk brakes do. http://www.atvreviewnetwork.com/enth...2=240271&go=Go
hydraulic disc is a big leap over mechanical drum.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:52 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

Originally Posted by TLC
Whats rims have to do with tires size?
Just take the 24" tires off the Rancher and put on 25" tires.
My friends 420 Rancher has 26" Mud Witches on his stock Rancher rims.

But yes its odd to see little 24" tires on a 420 4x4 Even my old 350 Grizzly had 25" tires stock and I upped them to 26" Zillas.
I had 29" swampfox tires on my trx300 with a 2" lift- top speed was maybe 35 mph and it would "clutch-out" trying to carry me through a mud hole 1' deep. the engine & tranny was totally rebuilt by a honda dealer!

as you can see in the last pic- I had to use the winch to get out of this silly little mud hole- this honda had about as much sack as my old 12hp lawn tractor- if it had a diff-loc it probably would've gotten me out... but I hated it! that's when I vowed to never own another 4x4 atv under 500cc ever again!

Old 07-10-2014, 09:01 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

29" Tires on a 300 (282cc) 4x3 is just pain cruelty. LOL What was the TRX300 rated at, 15hp tops.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:19 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

Originally Posted by TLC
29" Tires on a 300 (282cc) 4x3 is just pain cruelty. LOL What was the TRX300 rated at, 15hp tops.
hehe- I know- it's way overkill for that atv.
it was like .... driving a 4cy CJ jeep with 33" bfg's through the white mountains; 33 mph on the way up, 75 mph on the way down!

Old 08-25-2014, 02:13 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The 5 year warranty included will be a great selling point too. If I were to buy a new atv, the 500L would be one I would consider, it doesn't cost much more than the 450 and it has quite a bit more power, almost equal to a Yamaha 700 Grizzly for a lot less money.

Quick Reply: Anyone see that Can Am is releasing a smaller version of their Outlander called the L