Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

No neutral, no start

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 03:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No neutral, no start

I resently purchased a 2001 Honda Rancher trx350. When i bought it ran fine but now when i try to turn it on i don't get the neutral green light. I have power because i can turn on the lights i can here noise coming form the gas tank.

I have done some serches and came across some post talking about bypassing the neutral switch by grounding the green with red strips.

I have download the repair manual but i can not locate the neutral safety switch. Is it called something different, gear shift switch, gear position switch? I also found on the fourms that i did research that they indicate grounding the green dashed red wire at different places example starter solenoid located near the battery and the connection to the motor. so where excatly do i need to ground this neutral switch at? Any pictures or diagrams?

Thanks.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:39 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

I have never known a gear position switch to go bad on a Honda. The wiring is complex and, if I remember rightly, involves a diode which can fail. If you can avoid it, don't start shorting wires to earth, if you have a broken wire and can't find where it is in the loom, bridge it with another piece of wire.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:43 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is lots of post of people doing this mod with out any issues. Also i have noticed that if the 4 wheeler does not have the neutral light on i can rock/move the 4 wheeler and press on the foot shifter at the same time the neutral light comes one. Also once it's on and if i reverse the reverse light comes one, but once i put it into 1 gear the reverse light is still on or sometimes the reverse light does not come on. I can switch gears fine when it is off(when no neutral light) So I am assuming the gears are working. so that's why i am thinking it's the gear position switch.

I have also seen lots of post of people stating that they have replace alot gear position switches. Where is this located and how would i go about testing it.?
Any other testing suggestions would be great.

Thanks.

Old 09-06-2014, 02:33 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Someone had to do this on a 500 in August, check this posting:-
Foreman TRX500FPM Gear Position Reading Wrong???
The 350 is more awkward as the flywheel has to come off to remove the inner case, can't remember if this case has to be removed to get at the switch.