Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Carb cleanig question

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 12:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb cleanig question

I recently bought a 2001 Honda Rancher trx 350. I am having issues with starting it. Some times it starts fine but other times it doesn't start, its random. I noticed when it does not start i push primer **** a couple of times it sounds like it it's going to start but then dies. So i am assuming that the carb needs some cleaning, if so what could be the problem in the carb? I have the service manual and reading through the carb service part I have some questions. Please note that i have never cleaned a carb out so please excuse my newbie questions.

Does the Throttle Stop screw and the drain screw need to come off the carb before spying with carb cleaner?

How does the Carb heater come off, does the carb heater just unscrew from the collar and how do you remove the collar? Also what size of open end wrench is the carb heater bolt?

What size of open end wrench are the main Jet?
Also what size of open end wrench is the lock nut of the choke cable?

Thanks.

Old 09-09-2014, 02:28 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

You need cross-head screwdrivers that fit properly. Remove the snorkel tube, crancase breather tube at engine end and then remove the airbox, one nut underneath and the hose clip hold it on. turn the fuel tap off and remove the fuel pipe, slacken the hose clip on the inlet manifold and pull the carb off. You may need to remove the heater wires from the loom, you may not, the heater does not have to come off. Lift the carb so you can get at the screws underneath that hold the float chamber on. Don't kink the throttle or choke cable but you don't usually need to remove them. Once the screws are out the carb comes apart. I always use compressed air to clean the float bowl and jets. Remove the main jet, 7mm spanner, and blow out jet and hole. Remove the other jet (down a hole) with a screwdriver and blow this jet and hole out. Remove the black bung and blow this hole out. I don't take the float off unless the carb has been dribbling. When you re-assemble, the white plastic thing has to go onto the main jet the right way round, so that a cutout in it for the brass overflow pipe is in the right place. Try the carb before re-fitting the air box. They sometimes dribble as disturbing the fuel pipe lets grit onto the float needle, turning the tap off, running the engine until it stalls and then turning the tap on, may flood the grit away. If not, you will have to split the float chamber again, remove the float and clean the needle and seat. If the choke cable has to come off, it is a 14mm spanner size.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:28 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice, thank you for the info. hopefully it goes go. when i gave the carb a quick look i noticed that one of the drain or vacuum hose on the carb had a cut. Where could i find a replacement hose?

Old 09-13-2014, 11:11 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

There is a drain tube from the bottom and a couple of breathers near the top, they may fit back on if you cut the split bit off but, unless you go through deep water, they are not critical.