Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

99 foreman 450 ES no neutral light no start ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 09:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 foreman 450 ES no neutral light no start ?

Ok so my father in law brings me a 99 450 ES to work on. It was stuck in gear when it arrived at my house. While picking up an dragging it off the trailer it decided to come unstuck an roll. It had not shifted right for a year or so I was told. It had been started in neutral an manually shifted into 2nd gear an rode around the yard most the time. So I started checking things out sprayed electrical contact cleaner in shift buttons, charged battery. For it to turn over bit no start. The neutral light was not working the bike is in neutral though. Moved the kill switch around a few times an it started up. Rode it an shifted with ES for about 20 seconds then it died. Pushed it into shop. Read all about an tried grounding neutral wire with no luck on light are starting. Replaced angle sensor with no luck. So that's where I'm at. But every now an then it will start an run about 15-20 seconds then die. Any ideas or help would be appreciated ? Thanks

Old 10-08-2014, 02:27 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

You probably have two separate problems. The ES hasn't worked for a year, but now it refuses to start so you have been given it to repair. Check all the postings on ES problems, it is probably the shift motor but there are lots of other things that can go wrong. Just noticed you got the ES to work, you can check with the engine stopped if the battery is good, ignition on, press ES up button while rocking bike gently backwards and forwards, it should change up, repeat until you get 5th, then go down to reverse.

The non starting/refusing to run for more than a few seconds could be electrical or carb. Check it is sparking, change the plug, if it is sparking, check fuel is getting through, clean out the carb. If it isn't sparking, go through the electrical checks at the cdi, (not on the cdi.)

Old 10-08-2014, 02:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

It has been running in the year just got stuck in gear about a month ago. Was running good before it stuck in gear. It shifts fine with the ES by listening to it. Just wont show neutral. Can I change bulb in neutral light? I took it apart an it doesn't look like I could? Nothing working on the display is my big problem. Reverse light comes on when shifted into reverse with ES motor. The oil light comes in for a second when key is turned on. And the lights work just a plank screen.

Old 10-08-2014, 02:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

I've changed the plug but haven't checked spark yet. I was wondering on when in I tried to ground out neutral wire if its not working because maybe something in front case is broke off? Didn't think that would matter. Just real don't understand what's going on with it. I'm not very strong in the electrical field. When it does crank a run its after I haven't touched it for a few days. Go in turn key an bump starter an it fires right up idles fine then just stops dead.

Old 10-11-2014, 02:48 AM
Elite Pro Rider

The gear position indicator is in the alternator case at the back of the engine. It seems like the "digital display unit" has had it, this is quite common and no problem to the running of the bike. Check the spark and clean out the carb.

Old 10-11-2014, 05:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

It has no spark at all. The battery is new an hot. I've also changed plug an swapped to a different battery. Don't now if the display has anything to do with problem or not ? Not having any luck grounding neutral wire.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Sometimes neutral light burns out in the meter circuit broad..... has to replace broad [meter] unless you can repair or replace the bulb in broad..No fire could be several things...voltage regulator, cdi.inline fuse in harness around the batt.. 1998 and 1999 had an fuse in the charging sytem which can also stop the firing...

Old 10-12-2014, 03:41 AM
Elite Pro Rider

The 450 voltage regulator has a habit of failing and drawing all the power from the alternator, not leaving any for the ignition circuit. Check the fuses first though.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by papa hogg scoot
Sometimes neutral light burns out in the meter circuit board you have to replace board [meter] unless you can repair or replace the bulb in board. No fire could be several things ..... voltage regulator, cdi inline fuse in harness around the battery. 1998 and 1999 had a fuse in the charging system which can also stop the firing.
My '99 Foreman 450S had a burned out neutral light. Took it to an electronics repair shop. $30. Good as new, and much cheaper than a new board.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Did you step in something?
My '99 Foreman 450S had a burned out neutral light. Took it to an electronics repair shop. $30. Good as new, and much cheaper than a new board.
Yes I have repair some myself...I was just stating new board if they could get fixed or do thereself.