Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Not your average Forman ES Problem, PLEASE Help!

Old 10-30-2014, 03:44 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

I find it strange how the really bad faults rarely get a mention on forums. The Honda 420 from 06 to 13 had a faulty rear axle, the aftermarket parts sellers sell strengthened shafts and have done since 07, (though this doesn't cure the root problem) but I have seen very little on forums about it. The Suzuki 450 and 700 frames all break at the lower frame tubes. We sold about ten of them and all have needed the frames welding, one bike was nearly in two as the top tubes had gone as well, yet nothing about this on forums.

Old 10-30-2014, 05:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PROBLEM FIXED!!!!! Never guess what the cause was/is....bought the NEW version of the Angle Sensor today from my LHD and installed it. Not only did it NOT fix my problem but it made it worse. It made it, where as before I was able to wiggle the shift lever and find a sweet spot to reset the ECU, now it was faulted and would not reset at all.
On a hunch I took a long shot, I thought I'd try something, and with the angle sensor plugged in and installed into the shaft but no bolts installed, I rotated it while turning the key off/on to see if I could find a neutral spot that the ECU was looking for. Sure enough I eventually did. Long story short, what I determined is that when I bought the machine with the broken angle sensor, the impact of that break must have slightly bent the shift spline to where it repositioned the neutral position for the flat spot on the angle sensor itself needing to be for the right ohms. I reamed out the holes in the sensor allowing it to be mounted in an "OFF" neutral position, verified by no fault code when I turned the key on, and walla!!!! When I hard mounted in this new, slightly off position sensor it works like a champ.
No Honda dealer in the world would have found that......really saved myself a bunch more money cause I was about to throw an ECU at it, which would have been in vain.
So pass the word. If you have an Angle Sensor code that just wont clear, and its possible that the ATV had ever been impacted at that location in its life, its possible that the shift spindle is bent at the end where it slide into the sensor. Hey, sounds crazy but it worked for me!!!

Old 10-31-2014, 11:19 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Always a GREAT feeling when you find the problem that no one else can find!

JR

Old 10-31-2014, 03:36 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Glad you found it. As I wrote earlier, I did have a shaft completely broken off, no idea why. I think I was on my forth angle sensor before I noticed the shaft was sticking out too far.