Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

'02 honda 350 rancher fan?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 08:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '02 honda 350 rancher fan?

i have a 2002 honda rancher 350 4x4 with an oil cooler and a fan. the fan is not plugged into anything, and there is no plug on the fan wires im wondering 2 things.
is it possible that it came with a disconnected fan from factory?
will the engine run cold if i simply connect the fan to a switch?

also something about the carb heater, i just un plugged it because it is a waste of wear and tear on the stator here in california. but i was wondering something about it. when you turn the key on,( what i assume to be) the oil pressure light comes on for about 3 or 4 seconds, then turns off. is that light actually the carb heater light, telling you when you can start it?
thanks in advance, im new here so this is my first post!
Tristan

Old 01-19-2015, 09:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

temp light surpose to come like that this shows you the temp control module is working...do you have an electic shift model

Old 01-19-2015, 11:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by papa hogg scoot
temp light surpose to come like that this shows you the temp control module is working...do you have an electic shift model
no, it is manual shift.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:41 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

For the 350 and the last of the 300s, Honda had a stupid idea of wring the fan through the CDI, you can't even get that CDI now, though Honda do sell a replacement with special extra wiring loom. Someone may have fitted a non standard CDI and done away with the fan or, as they sometimes won't switch off due to a CDI fault, simply cut the fan wires. When Kawasaki fitted a fan on the KLF300 they just put a switch on the handlebars so you can decide if you need to cool things down, you could do the same.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by merryman
For the 350 and the last of the 300s, Honda had a stupid idea of wring the fan through the CDI, you can't even get that CDI now, though Honda do sell a replacement with special extra wiring loom. Someone may have fitted a non standard CDI and done away with the fan or, as they sometimes won't switch off due to a CDI fault, simply cut the fan wires. When Kawasaki fitted a fan on the KLF300 they just put a switch on the handlebars so you can decide if you need to cool things down, you could do the same.
that was my original plan. when i feed the livestock here on the farm, the machine i am using idles for 40 minuts out of each hour, so i definitley want a fan. thanks again!

Old 01-20-2015, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider

ARE YOU IN THE usa

Old 01-20-2015, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider

can wire to the high headlight beam switch an if you need fan just flip headlights on hi beam....

Old 01-21-2015, 09:17 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Originally Posted by Hondakawie
that was my original plan. when i feed the livestock here on the farm, the machine i am using idles for 40 minuts out of each hour, so i definitley want a fan. thanks again!
You really do not need the fan its just a "assist" for the oil cooler. The oil cooler still does it's job by rerouting the oil through a cooling rad so it cools down the oil before going back to the crankcase.

My 1989 Yamaha 350 Big Bear is and still going , it had a oil cooler but never a fan assist option. I never seen it over heat.

My old 250 Moto4 ran for 10 years and never even had a oil cooler period.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:11 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Oh yes you do, the pushrod Honda engines have smaller fins than the old 300s and the head doesn't get the amount of oil cooling that the OHC engines did. They will overheat if left idling for 40 min. Why leave it idling for that long? Just switch the engine off when you dismount, and restart when you get back on, less fuel used, less wear on the engine.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:03 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Oh yes you do, the pushrod Honda engines have smaller fins than the old 300s and the head doesn't get the amount of oil cooling that the OHC engines did.
DID?

I thought all Utility Honda's from the start to this day are still use OHV?
Only their sport ATVs have OHC.

Quick Reply: '02 honda 350 rancher fan?