Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Leftover/used 2013 Honda Rancher?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 01:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TLC
Sill would not make a difference for us since our trails are to narrow and rough to allow for much more then 30 mph in any section for long. Even my 350 can't come close to being open up.
There is a guy in our group with a 800 Outlander who can not do any faster pace then the rest of us.
Speed comes into play only if we pop out back onto the gravel road and go a mile or two to get to another long section of ATV trails.

Here's what we deal with and this and this is a smooth fast section. Even SXSs can't fit through some parts because they are to wide. They are off season sled trails that go for hundreds of miles.
Looks like fun trail. Having more power isn't all about speed, acceleration and torque is another benefit of having a bigger, more powerful engine. Say you get into a tight spot and have a slippery, steep hill to climb. Having the extra power to instantly accelerate and charge up the hill is not a bad thing. Even with the 550 engine, it still would fall far short of something like an Outlander 800 in a drag race but would be able to keep up on faster, tight trails just fine I'm sure. Polaris did something similar for a few years putting the 455cc engine in the same chassis as the 299cc Hawkeye. It was even smaller than a 350 Grizzly, more like the size of a 250 Beartracker or Honda Recon. I never rode one but I bet it was a very sporty machine. People do it all the time with full sized vehicles, look at all the Jeep Cjs and Wranglers with small block chevy V8's in them. And many of them are trail vehicles, they want the extra power to turn big tires and better get through and up and over anything they might encounter on the trail.