Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Type of Oil in your 2013 RUBICON

Old 04-21-2015, 10:15 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Type of Oil in your 2013 RUBICON

Just wondering what type of oil your running in your 2013 honda rubicon 500

I use the honda oil but wondering what else is out there, maybe a little cheaper but do the same job or better

thanks

Old 04-22-2015, 12:58 AM
Pro Rider

I have been using Honda HP-4s synthetic oil in my rubicon for a few years now without a issue. I change it once a year. it's not cheap though at 9 dollars a qt, especially considering the rubicon takes 5 quarts between the engine/hydraulic trans.

Before that, I used the Honda GN-4 which I assume your using now. Never had a problem with it but I just wanted the benefits of a full synthetic oil. I was able to get it for about 4 dollars a quart. Not sure that you could find much better for a lower price. What ever you choose, just make sure it's wet clutch safe (which most 4-t motorcycle oils are) and you will be fine.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:04 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

You guys know Honda does not make oil they just put it in a bottle with a Honda logo printed on it. Just make sure the oil is motorcycle grade meaning its for wet clutches since all motorcycles have wet clutches.
Amsoil, Rotella T ,Redline and Moble1 are two example if you want Full synthetic.

Same goes with spark plugs, Honda does not make a spark plug. My friend drove across town for a plug for his 500 Foreman at his dealer. They gave him a red box with the Honda logo printed on it and out sips a NGK BR#ES that he could of bought at any place for cheaper, we both had a laugh about that.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Honda oil may not be made by Honda, but honestly its as cheap or cheaper than most anything else out there. I buy it by the gallon, 2 gallons can do 3 oil changes on my Rancher. I got it for $21 a gallon, or a little over $5 a quart. Though $4 a quart sounds even better, didn't realize I could get it even cheaper.

Old 04-22-2015, 01:57 PM
Trailblazer

do you buy your oil from online? if so were abouts? or just local dealers, here in Canada I don't have a local Honda dealer close

Old 04-22-2015, 03:20 PM
Pro Rider

GN-4 is not exactly relabeled oil. Honda claims they start with a high quality conventional base and then add their own additives upon research and testing what works specifically with their engines and transmissions. For the money, it's hard to beat a oil that your machine was developed and tested using.

I usually get my fluids from one of the local dealers and I pay around 18 dollars a gallon, so about 4.50 a quart and about 9 dollars a quart for HP-4s.

Old 04-22-2015, 03:21 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by greg74
The Honda oil may not be made by Honda, but honestly its as cheap or cheaper than most anything else out there. I buy it by the gallon, 2 gallons can do 3 oil changes on my Rancher. I got it for $21 a gallon, or a little over $5 a quart. Though $4 a quart sounds even better, didn't realize I could get it even cheaper.
$5 per quart is good for Honda's HP-4 full synthetic but its not that great of a deal for their conventional GN-4. I have seen Rotella T full synthetic for $21 U.S per gallon across the border in Michigan.

do you buy your oil from online? if so were abouts? or just local dealers, here in Canada I don't have a local Honda dealer close
I live in Canada also you can get Amsoil full synthetic for $7 per litre at Canadian Tire or Conventional ATV/motorcycle oils of different brands for $4 to $5 bucks Canadian.

Old 04-22-2015, 03:52 PM
Pro Rider

That's a great price for AMSoil full synthetic 4-t oil, especially in Canada. In the states, it goes for 12-13 dollars a quart. I'd figure it would be 15-16 bucks in Canadian pesos. Hell, they want 9-10 bucks for conventional here. Not denying that it's a great oil, maybe the best out there but it's certainly not cheap

Old 04-22-2015, 04:11 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Here,s what the bottle looks like if your in Canadian tire.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:36 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TLC
Here,s what the bottle looks like if your in Canadian tire.

I'll have to check that out next time I need to buy oil, I've got enough for one more oil change and then will have to buy some the next time after that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Type of Oil in your 2013 RUBICON