Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

New machine

Old 05-08-2015, 08:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by greg74
That Pioneer 500 in that pic looks pretty sharp. I'm sure you could simply bolt a toolbox on the rack and then you'd have lockable and weatherproof storage. That's probably what a lot of Pioneer 500 owners will do. The netting looks kind of silly though but I guess it keeps you from getting slapped in the face by a tree branch. I'd probably just take it off myself. I'm sure someone makes some bigger doors you could get instead.
Yea I think it looks pretty sharp too. The sealed cargo box is a good idea, I've seen a few different custom setups from sealed diamond plated boxes to a wooden Bed lol.
I actually like the stock doors and nets that the pioneer comes with. I think all utvs should utilize this door/net combo. Extremely simple yet easy to operate.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:34 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by TLC
According to these two sites the Honda SXS is still a 3 forward speed only like a Rincon and the Big Red http://www.atvreviewnetwork.com/enth...cleCode=441373. here is another site saying the same 2015 Honda Pioneer 700 Reviews, Prices, and Specs.
That's the 700 pioneer, the 500 comes with a 5 speed with column mounted paddle shifted

Old 05-08-2015, 08:43 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Sorry I just notice this post is about the 475 Pioneer not the 680. I like the 475 5 speed tranny much better then the 680 3 speed.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:26 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The old Rhino 660's were very slow for some reason, I think they were geared very low. Yes, the Grizzly 660 is faster than a Rincon but the Rhino topped out at about 45 mph stock.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:34 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by greg74
The old Rhino 660's were very slow for some reason, I think they were geared very low. Yes, the Grizzly 660 is faster than a Rincon but the Rhino topped out at about 45 mph stock.
Makes sense since SXS are much heavier (450lbs) then a ATV with the same motor.

Old 05-08-2015, 01:35 PM
Pro Rider

yea all the japanese SxSs are geared lower to accomodate the extra weight. Even the new yamaha wolverine Rspec only goes 52-53mph.

The thing I like least about the old rhinos was how much throttle was needed to get the thing moving. Most of the lower powered CVT UTVs are like that and scream at low speeds. I haven't had the chance to run them side by side but this little pioneer actually feels like it accelerates faster than my neighbors rhino and has a much better throttle response. I think if you guys had the chance to test one out you'd be shocked by how peppy it feels in the low-mid rpm range. You don't have to take your foot off the gas to shift up so the engine stays in the heart of the powerband

Old 05-08-2015, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by HondaR24
yea all the japanese SxSs are geared lower to accomodate the extra weight. Even the new yamaha wolverine Rspec only goes 52-53mph.

The thing I like least about the old rhinos was how much throttle was needed to get the thing moving. Most of the lower powered CVT UTVs are like that and scream at low speeds. I haven't had the chance to run them side by side but this little pioneer actually feels like it accelerates faster than my neighbors rhino and has a much better throttle response. I think if you guys had the chance to test one out you'd be shocked by how peppy it feels in the low-mid rpm range. You don't have to take your foot off the gas to shift up so the engine stays in the heart of the powerband
When I rode a Rancher 420? for a day in Utah I liked it much more than the Rincon of the day before. The 5 speed transmission made the difference for me.

Old 05-09-2015, 06:57 AM
Pro Rider

Mice purchase man. I think you were smart buying the pioneer. It sounds like it fits your needs.

Old 05-09-2015, 09:15 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

I don't believe the CVT loses power more then a 5 speed thing. I did a little drag race with my 350 Grizzly and a 350 Rancher down a straight gravel road and both accerated and had the same top end.

I drag raced my 500 Sportsman with 500 Foreman down the same road and out accerated him and had a faster top speed as well. I know the Sportsman has a 7hp advantage but it also is 100lbs heaver and it the CVT not suppose to take that hp advantage away? In the real world no.

Here is a 500 4x4 shootout https://www.powersportsnetwork.com/e...ew.asp?code=85 and all the ATVs were cvt except the 500 Foreman and the foreman could only just out power the 450 Grizzly which at 421cc should really be put up against the 420 Rancher not the 500 Foreman.

Old 05-09-2015, 04:14 PM
Pro Rider

You don't have to believe it if you don't want to but it's pretty much common knowledge at this point. I don't think too many engineers would disagree. Yamahas wet clutch is actually the worst offender of all when it comes to parasitic loses but any 5 speed with a clutch/auto-clutch will lay down their HP more efficiently.

This thing certainly isn't fast, (I was reminded of this when I took out my 700xx) but the OHV engine mounted with the crank shaft running directly in line with the drive shaft in combination with this 5 speed makes great use of the power.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New machine