Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Thinking of trading my 2008 Rancher 4x4 for a 2015 Rancher AT

Old 06-01-2015, 07:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of trading my 2008 Rancher 4x4 for a 2015 Rancher AT

So I love my 2008 Rancher 420 4x4 (manual shift) however I am considering trading it for the new 2015 Rancher AT with Power Steering. The decision is mostly based on a hand injury that makes not having power steering an uncomfortable experience. Just curious if there is anyone here that has upgraded from the older body style Rancher to the new body style Rancher and if so what are the opinions? I sat on a new 2015 Rancher AT with PS at my local dealer and like everything about it with one exception. What I did not like is that the front of seat is flat as it transitions to the fuel tank (or at least where the fuel tank normally is....apparently the fuel tank is no longer between the legs). On my 2008 Rancher the seat bends up much more aggressively as it transitions to the fuel tank which helps keep my butt from sliding forward on steep down hills or aggressive stops. On the new Rancher I am afraid not having that aggressive lip would mean that I would always be on the tank. It feels odd not having that lip. Anyway again I curious what folks thoughts/experiences are on this topic.
I wished my local dealer still had one of the old style Ranchers in stock (left over) from last year but so far no luck.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:24 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't see the point of buying basically the same machine. If you're going to buy something new, I'd upgrade. I'd look at the new Rubicon with power steering. Would be a noticeable step up in power over the Rancher. Its not really that much more expensive either. Something to consider.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:04 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks, but again I love my Rancher just need power steering due to a hand break a few years back the left me with chronic wrist pain.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:32 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Ok, was just throwing another option out there. I honestly wish Honda hadn't made the Rancher bigger, I kinda like the fact that it used to be smaller than the Rubicon and Foreman. Now they're all basically the same size just with different engines in them. I have an older Rancher 350 and I like the size of it. I wish Honda or someone else made an atv the same size but with more power.

Old 06-03-2015, 02:21 PM
Pro Rider

I could not agree more about the size of the Rancher, I sat on the new 2015 Rancher and it felt noticeably larger, I'm not sure if it is larger or just the design of the plastic but it sure feels larger. I had a 2001 Rancher and loved it as well but had to sell when I had to move. Eventually I had a chance to buy my current ATV back in 2008 (2008 Rancher 4x4 FM). Like you I desperately wish Honda or someone else made an ATV the same size but with more power. Since we are on the subject here is wish. Use the previous Rancher chassis, 475-500cc, 4x4, diff lock, foot shift, IRS, Power Steering, digit gauge cluster, and independent left and right hand brake levers. You listening Honda/Yamaha???

On another note, with regard to size, while looking at the new 2015 Rancher I also sat on the new Can-Am Outlander 500L (with PS) and it was the same size as the new Rancher. Forgive me for saying this (I have always been a Honda fan and only ever bought Honda (3 ATVs, 5 cars, 2 mowers, pressure washer, generator)) but the Can-Am Outlander 500L felt very comfortable, the handle bars felt near perfect in their position, the seat was better padded and the seat also angled up more aggressively to provide better resistance from sliding forward, the mid section felt narrower, and the thumb throttle has less resistance with a longer smoother actuation, plus the surface area of the thumb throttle was greater than the Rancher. Dang I cannot believe I am saying this. Finally the sticker on the 500L was $100 less than the sticker on the Rancher. Again both were IRS, Automatic, and Power Steering. Just food for thought.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:01 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The Can-Am definitely has more power, no contest there. I think the Grizzly 450 is roughly about the same size as the Rancher 350 was. I've owned many atvs. Hondas, Yamahas, Polaris and one Suzuki. I'd even look at the Polaris Sportsman 570 if you're thinking about going with something other than Honda. It should cost even a little less than the Outlander 500L and has about the same amount of power. You'd probably like watching this, a shootout between the Can-Am Outlander 500L and Sportsman 570. 2 very evenly matched machines. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSDkFd6cHvY

Old 06-04-2015, 12:29 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I would think the Rancher being a full size chassis now rather then a Mid sized chassis would make more roomy and comfortable.

The AT does not have that odd ball Rincon 3 speed Auto tranny does it where it can't find a happy gear in many situations and no low range what so ever? At least the 5 speed Rancher has a granny 1st gear for tuff nasty spots or work.