Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Hondas back!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 01:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've owned both cvt auto machines and semi-auto. In the smaller displacement machines like a honda recon for instance. a cvt auto would have robbed so much power that it barely would have been able to move. In the bigger displacement machines say 400cc or more, it comes down to personal preference. Also the type of terrain and what you're going to use the atv for. In slow speed work duty, a 5 speed semi-auto would be preferred by many over a cvt auto. Yes, you can use low range but you always have to come to a complete stop to change from high to low range. In a 5 speed, you simply upshift or downshift. The built in engine compression braking on semi-autos seems more smooth and natural than the artificially added engine braking on cvt machines. Semi-autos are quieter too. All cvts whine to some extent, some more than others. The other obvious advantages such as no belts to wear out or get wet. As far as not knowing what gear to be in, once you own the machine for a while, you get to know what its capable of and can look at a hill and think to yourself, 2nd gear is what i need here for example.

Old 06-14-2015, 02:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The biggest thing I miss from an auto or full clutch machine is dictating to the machine how fast the engine is turning. With CVT you're kinda stuck with mid - high RPMs unless you're stopped and idling.

Apart from that I find CVTs to be great all around / general purpose / easy to operate system.

This system in the new Pioneer seems like it will be just as slick and a tad more versatile. Also be hellish expensive to repair if you damage it out of warranty!

Old 06-14-2015, 02:30 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

In slow speed work duty, a 5 speed semi-auto would be preferred by many over a cvt auto. Yes, you can use low range but you always have to come to a complete stop to change from high to low range. In a 5 speed, you simply upshift or downshift.
In low range you do not over rev until 25mph so that should be plenty for slow work duty. Both my 1989 350 Big Bear foot shift and 1987 250 Moto4 I had to also stop to put them in high and low range.
My friends foot shift 2011Suzuki 400KQ also has to stop to be put in and out of low and high range.

People got to get out of this myth of a power loss with CVT and vs 5speed. My 500 CVT completely out accerates and has a faster top speed then my friends 5 speed 500 Foreman by a good margin and in low range I can out pull him also.

Old 06-14-2015, 05:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't see much downside to being able to choose your gear ratio. I like banging through the gears, and like that natural engine braking and also the toughness of a good mechanical transmission. What some think is a chore I find fun. Actually, I was just teaching my daughter to let her mini engine brake in 1St gear down hills last week. Bravo Honda giving us a choice in the matter.

Old 06-14-2015, 06:38 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

For me, it happen more then once I would cross a easy enough looking creek to find out its deeper and softer bottomed mid way through and 2nd gear was not going to cut it and have to take the leg plunge to down shift down a gear.
CVT you just rest your feet on the front rack and let it figure the right gear ratio is.
Now on a sport ATV or sport car a manual makes sense and would be fun but not so much on a 4wd ATV or truck. Auto all the way.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, then this is for you TLC, paddle shifters on the steering wheel, or it could still shift for you anyway. Just like your Jeep up above, lol.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:20 AM
JRM
Pro Rider

One can hope they build a Rubicon II with a Unicam twin in it, this SXS is larger and can pull more than my Toyota truck! and the dual range DCT would be amazing, I have a DSG in my VW TDI and its like the car can read my mind on shift points!

Old 06-15-2015, 02:16 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, it appears you can do both on this machine. Hopefully the Rubicon and Rincon will inherit this transmission as well. I guess I see your point about point and go riding with an automatic. I do prefer them a bit over the semi-autos myself. Having to downshift whenever you stop or slow down does get a bit tiring after a while. Auto is easier i agree. My next quad probably will be an auto and 4x4. I just sold my Rancher this weekend. Going to get something with more power and 4x4. Grizzly 660 is probably at top of list though I might have wait a few weeks until I find one locally for the amount I want to spend.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:58 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by TLC
These SXS can get out of hand in price and you would be better off getting a new Jeep that takes you off road and to work or shopping.

I,d buy this used for less then some of these new SXS

100% XX on the Jeep vs SXS!!!

Old 06-15-2015, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

With two bad knees and a bad back I prefer the automatics over the semi-autos and manuals. I like how Polaris and Can-Am have low ranges that can get up to around 30 mph before they wind out. I like the idea of choosing between automatic and shift paddles for semi-auto function too. I'm glad they didn't use the Rincon transmission. I found 1st gear wasn't low enough and it didn't have a lot of top end. I still want Honda to have a spirited steed that can get up to the high speeds in a 2-up quad.

Quick Reply: Hondas back!!