Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Hondas back!!

Old 06-11-2015, 01:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hondas back!! New Pioneer 1000

Craigslist is going to be loaded with PoPos, ACs and Can Ams!

The engine is the 999cc inline twin that is also featured in the new Africa Twin rally Dirtbike that Honda just released as well. It's said to make 110HP in the bike but I have no doubts that Honda detuned it little bit for the UTV.

The trans sounds great too. 6 speed Dual clutch Automatic with optional paddleshifters. It also has a low range sub trans with 6 gears of its own.

Other features include Diff lock, turf mode,power steering, led headlamps, self leveling hydraulic shocks with 10inches of travel on all 4 corners and the ability to seat 5. Also has a 2000lbs tow capacity.

Honda finally delivered! I think it's fair to say that this is easily the new industry standard for utility SxSs. I'm guessing the sport model comes next yr.

Old 06-11-2015, 02:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Me likey! It is about time Big H stepped up, and the spec of the smaller Pioneers makes better sense now.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by HondaR24

The engine is the 999cc inline twin that is also featured in the new Africa Twin rally Dirtbike that Honda just released as well. It's said to make 110HP in the bike but I have no doubts that Honda detuned it little bit for the UTV.

The trans sounds great too. 6 speed Dual clutch Automatic with optional paddleshifters. It also has a low range sub trans with 6 gears of its own.

Other features include Diff lock, turf mode,power steering, led headlamps, self leveling hydraulic shocks with 10inches of travel on all 4 corners and the ability to seat 5. Also has a 2000lbs tow capacity.

Honda finally delivered! I think it's fair to say that this is easily the new industry standard for utility SxSs. I'm guessing the sport model comes next yr.
I like the bigger engine. I hope it's competitive with the Polaris and Can-Am machines as far as HP, HP to weight ratio, and top speed. I like the idea of a low range in a Honda! Diff lock, turf mode, power steering, led headlamps, and self leveling shocks have been on previous Polaris Rangers. All great features! This is what Honda has missed in my mind; having the features of other makers' machines with (hopefully) Honda's reliability. Not to say I've had bad dealings with my, past, Polaris' machines or the present Can-Ams. They treated us better than we treated/treat them. It's just good to see Honda step up to the plate. Now, if they'd just make a 2-up quad with the HP, power to weight ratios, ground clearance, and features of Can-Ams and Polaris' 2-ups I'd be more than happy to add them to the list of potential next quads.

Old 06-11-2015, 09:17 PM
Range Rover

Honda Pioneer 1000 Tech Talk - YouTube

I doubt it. Looks good but other machines offer all the same features as well.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:38 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by DogRunner2
I doubt it. Looks good but other machines offer all the same features as well.
They don't offer the transmission.

6 speed dual clutch automatic with paddle shifters and 6 separate low gears is just far and away more advanced, efficient and fun to use than any belt driven CVT. i don't think many actually prefers a CVT, it's just been the only choice when looking for a competitive machine.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:02 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

They don't offer the transmission.

6 speed dual clutch automatic with paddle shifters and 6 separate low gears is just far and away more advanced, efficient and fun to use than any belt driven CVT. i don't think many actually prefers a CVT, it's just been the only choice when looking for a competitive machine.
Not me I had a few 5 speed ATVs and shifting gears on trails is a chore not fun I think. I don't want to think if I,m in the correct gear or not for a hill or mud hole. Same reasons Automatic 4wd trucks out sell stick on the floor manuals (if they still make them), sure you can shift but who wants to.
What I would like to see is a CVT that can shift from low range and high range on the fly. Getting through a rough section in low and then having to stop to get back in high range can get annoying.

Good for Honda to finally make a off roader without a OHV motor.
Now Yamaha will make a Rhino with it's 1000 YZF-R1 motorcycle motor in it in response until the government steps in .

Old 06-12-2015, 01:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I hope they don't price it out of this world. That's the one mistake Honda makes with the bigger atvs and side by sides. The 6 six speed dual clutch IS an automatic, its just not like a traditional cvt auto. They have a similar trans in the Rubicon now but it only has 5 speeds. A computer will shift for you depending on how much throttle is applied, load etc. Its supposed to be so quick that its faster and more efficient than any human can do it. Chevy has a similar transmission on new Corvettes and they claim that the dual clutch auto is quicker than a traditional manual trans because of the same reason. You can choose to shift for yourself using the paddle shifters like on the current ES models. At least they're finally trying to put something out there that has good power instead of putting an already underpowered Rincon engine in an even heavier side by side. Shifting from low to high or vise versa would be nice, I can't believe nobody has tried to come up with a trans that could do that. I hope Yamaha put a 1000cc in the Wolverine, i think that's coming next year along with a big v-twin in the Grizzly.

Old 06-12-2015, 02:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is essentially a double clutch car style transmission. You can put it in gear and let the machine think for you or shift on your own. No belt to get wet and slip. The return of the dual range is way overdue. You wouldn't have to shift this anymore than any cvt if you don't want to. It isn't going to be considered an atv in NY, so I am out, but interesting to see this offering from Honda.

Old 06-13-2015, 10:18 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

These SXS can get out of hand in price and you would be better off getting a new Jeep that takes you off road and to work or shopping.

I,d buy this used for less then some of these new SXS

Old 06-14-2015, 08:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by TLC
Not me I had a few 5 speed ATVs and shifting gears on trails is a chore not fun I think. I don't want to think if I,m in the correct gear or not for a hill or mud hole. Same reasons Automatic 4wd trucks out sell stick on the floor manuals (if they still make them), sure you can shift but who wants to.
That's your personal preference, and you're entitled to it, not everyone thinks the same way. Not for one second have I ever had to "think" about what gear to be in, it's just automatic "knowing". Yes, automatics outsell manual transmissions, and Ram is the only HD pickup that still has one with their diesel. Couple things though, majority of buyers that buy pickups don't even need one, they use them in town to buy groceries, or contracting work, etc., likely hauling no or minimal load ever, many never see a trailer. So, majority won. I live in ranch country. I had a stick in my F150 driving to school, so did many of the others, some drove diesel pickups to school. Probably half of my neighbors had sticks. Semis still have sticks. And pretty much every automatic I've been around has an option to choose L, or 1, 2, etc. Also, all the new pickups I know of, even light duty, have manual mode, with push button shifting. There are many applications where it is either necessary or easier/better to use in certain gears, a computer can't guess every situation. That's why I don't like CVTs at all. I keep using this example, and you keep arguing why would anyone want a manual, but just try slow work tasks, like spraying, or hauling a heavy load over rough terrain. It's better to be able to lock in a gear, put the throttle ahead without gaining speed. Etc. etc.

Originally Posted by TLC
These SXS can get out of hand in price and you would be better off getting a new Jeep that takes you off road and to work or shopping.

I,d buy this used for less then some of these new SXS
If I had a need for something compact I wouldn't get it as double duty for road use, I wouldn't get a Jeep, I'd get my old Ford Jubilee running again. Very compact and can outpull any of these. Much cheaper as well. But I don't need that compact, my smallest diesel tractor is 60HP and goes in all the small places I need. See how different people have different preferences?

I'm likely getting a Pioneer 500, didn't want a SxS, but the auto in the Rubicon doesn't look great (snow plow issue). Plus more rear rack room. And due to my criteria, that's pretty much my only choice. But the dealer is far away and every time I've been to town they haven't had one in, they sell soon after arrival. I want to be sure I "fit" before I buy one (not a big guy, but long legs). Otherwise I'd just buy one without even driving it. 700s still had a long wait time last I heard as well, but I don't need that size at all, and the trans. in the 500 is better.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hondas back!!