Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

1999 Honda 400ex electrical problems?

Old 11-17-2015, 02:32 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Honda 400ex electrical problems?

Hello i thought maybe you guys could help me out with a problem that happened about a couple weeks ago. So i'm assuming its either the coil pack or rectifier, i'm also in the process of getting a new wire harness cause the hillbilly that had it before me put speaker wire for most of the components and random re-ran wires, whole bunch of bs But here's the problem it'll turn over and fire once but then instantly stalls and seems to only like to run off starting fluid, but also ill leave my battery on the charger but by time i go and try to turn it over the next day its completely dead. cdi, rectifier, coil pack, stator? i'm completely lost i would like to narrow it down so im not dumping a whole bunch of money on parts that are good hopefully ya'll can help.

Old 11-18-2015, 02:16 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Get the new harness and fit it before going any further on the electrical side. If you can't trust how it is wired, you can't trust any tests that you may do on other components. However if it runs on starting fluid, it is sparking, so your problems are more likely to be from the carb. Remove the float bowl and blow it and the jets out with compressed air. Your battery going flat is probably the rectifier but could be due to that faulty harness, so get the wiring sorted and then come back for how to test other things.