Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda 300 Motor experts please chime in.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 12:20 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda 300 Motor experts please chime in.

I picked up an 2001 TRX 300EX for my boys and have been going through the machine to make it trail ready. Replaced the rear bearing assembly and front tires. Did an oil change and found the oil to be metallic. Been around enough motors to know this certainly is Not Good. Changed the oil again and its still metallic.

The engine runs smooth and I do not hear anything that I deem unusual. No smoking or knocking. Quad is all stock and seemed to be in average shape for a 15 year old machine.

Does anyone have any thing in mind besides the obvious bad bearing? I don't hear any timing chain noise. I'm about sick over it knowing it may need to be torn down and hit the old wallet pretty hard.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

What type metal? cast? brass? steal? does atv have alot of hours on it? I know no meter to tell but overall shape,paint wore off pegs,side on engine? etc.Just trying to tell the history....

Old 12-29-2015, 07:14 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by papa hogg scoot
What type metal? cast? brass? steal? does atv have alot of hours on it? I know no meter to tell but overall shape,paint wore off pegs,side on engine? etc.Just trying to tell the history....
Looks to be cast or steel. I just put in a magnetic oil plug so I will know soon enough.
From the looks of the quad it may have a decent amount of hrs on it. The front tires needed replacing along with tie rod ends and rear bearing assembly. She runs smooth and quiet which is confusing the situation. Perhaps the quiet before the storm.

Old 01-02-2016, 04:47 PM
Trailblazer

Drained the oil again, the magnet picked up some iron particulate and I also see what appears to be cast that the magnet did not pick up but I can see in my oil drain bucket.

I swung the engine out, took a look at the cam, piston, rings, cylinder and clutches and everything looks as it should.

I also found some iron particulate below the oil screen. I guess the lower half of the motor will need to taken down....... May need to have a machine shop do it as I am very good with top ends but not too versed with the lower ends.

Looks like the seller got me on this one

Anyone have any guestimates as to what breaking open the lower end and going through it will run me?