Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda ATC Help

Old 01-17-2016, 06:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda ATC Help

I have a 1979 Honda ATC 110. I recently pulled the right (clutch) cover off to clean the oil screen and such. I think I may have done something wrong while putting cover back on because it seemed to shift different then before. I rode it about 50 feet and other then seeming a little different it was just fine, I then got off and let it idle for a few minutes and when I got back on and took off it began to make this clanking noise, its very loud and the shift lever seems to have a lot of play so I tried adjusting the clutch with the screw on the right cover but it didn't help. Any ideas? I turned it off right away.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:41 PM
Rolling on 3 (wheels)

did the clutch plates get shifted when you took the cover off?

Old 02-21-2016, 10:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

I didn't take the clutch apart, just took the clutch cover off and replaced the gasket. But there were a few parts that fell off when I took the cover off but just don't know if those maybe I didn't put back on there correctly.

Old 03-02-2016, 02:06 PM
Rolling on 3 (wheels)

Originally Posted by mmumm
I didn't take the clutch apart, just took the clutch cover off and replaced the gasket. But there were a few parts that fell off when I took the cover off but just don't know if those maybe I didn't put back on there correctly.
its possible. If you can, look for a copy of the owners manual, or the Clymer Repair Manual. you should be able to find it in PDF form. there should be a diagram for the clutch, with an exploded view. while you have it apart, inspect the springs and clutch plates, look for obvious wear. Also, do you have a Micrometer and know how to read one? use one to check the surface on the plates, if they are below the indicated service thickness, replace them.

the plates are about $24.50 for the set, should be no more than $65 to replace all the springs, the plates, and Clutch shoes.

Old 03-02-2016, 03:08 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by mmumm
On some of these old ones,the clutch pressure adjuster parts can drop out when you remove the cover. Make sure you have these assembled as shown on this parts break down. Plus anytime you remove this cover you may have to adjust tension on the clutch adjuster bolt. Pull the rubber plug,loosen the lock nut,turn the adjuster clockwise until you feel a little tension,then back off 1/8 turn and while holding the adjuster bolt with a flat blade screw driver,tighten the lock nut. Items 8,17 Honda OEM Parts - The Worlds BEST supplier for Original Honda Replacement Parts Discounted Honda Motorcycle, Dirt Bike, ATV, SxS, and Scooter