Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

1996 Honda Fourtrax 300 4x2 no start no crank

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 09:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Honda Fourtrax 300 4x2 no start no crank

Hello I was wondering if anyone out there might have any info for me as to what is going on with this bike. It was running perfectly fine one day when I shut it off and came back the next day to find it would not try to crank over. The neutral light doesn't come on even though I know the bike is in neutral. Any ideas as to what to check would be great. I've already eliminated the battery and have also tried kickstarting the bike to no success. Thanks in advance for any ideas. I also checked the two glass fuses and they were good.

Old 03-21-2016, 02:45 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

There are a couple of common faults on the 300 that present these symptoms. The wires in the battery box that come from the fuses can corrode in the red connector. Also these same wires, to and from the ignition switch, can break in or near the black junction box on the headstock. They are continually moving as you turn the steering, and eventually fail.

Old 03-21-2016, 03:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by merryman
There are a couple of common faults on the 300 that present these symptoms. The wires in the battery box that come from the fuses can corrode in the red connector. Also these same wires, to and from the ignition switch, can break in or near the black junction box on the headstock. They are continually moving as you turn the steering, and eventually fail.
Thanks a bunch I'll take the front plastics off tomorrow and check that out. I unplugged the connector by the battery box and it was full of dielectric grease so should be good to go there.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:04 PM
Trailblazer
Default Key switch

Check and see if the bike has spark. Take off spark plug plug it into the spark plug cap and touch it on the side of the engine to see if it sparks. If there is no spark it is most likely the key switch. These mess up a lot on any bike. Look on YouTube to see how to bipass it I can almost promise this is the problem.

Old 03-21-2016, 05:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Ross.B
Check and see if the bike has spark. Take off spark plug plug it into the spark plug cap and touch it on the side of the engine to see if it sparks. If there is no spark it is most likely the key switch. These mess up a lot on any bike. Look on YouTube to see how to bipass it I can almost promise this is the problem.
The bike doesn't have any spark so I'm sure it's in the key switch or the wiring now. The key switch is relatively new because I broke the oem one but this new one is some China knockoff part so it's probably just junk

Old 03-21-2016, 06:39 PM
Trailblazer

Yes I bet you it is the keyswitch then. I seen a guy on YouTube with probably the exact same bike I know it was a green Honda 300 and he replaced the key switch with a Chinese one and that was the problem all he did is get a oem one plug it in and bike worked great

Old 03-21-2016, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Just an thot..check the left handlebar red kill slide switch it easy to bump when turning handlebar and when gripping grip when backing up an thrumb hits the kill switch just an thot no harm meant I see it alot in my shop.Good Luck

Old 03-22-2016, 12:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by papa hogg scoot
Just an thot..check the left handlebar red kill slide switch it easy to bump when turning handlebar and when gripping grip when backing up an thrumb hits the kill switch just an thot no harm meant I see it alot in my shop.Good Luck
Thank I did double check that cause I've had that happen before. It's easy to do lol

Old 03-22-2016, 10:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just wanted to report back the fix. It was in fact a bad key switch so I'll be replacing that and it will be good to go. Thanks everyone for your help.