Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rancher 420AT...oil is up to the top of the fill hole

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 01:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rancher 420AT...oil is up to the top of the fill hole

Short story.....oil is up to the top of the fill hole after an oil change with only three quarts added.

Got my 2013 RancherAT out of hibernation by giving it its yearly spring tune up. Got the oil drained and filter replaced. Added three qts. of new oil as suggested in the service manual. Started the engine, let the new oil cycle through (about 1 minute). Checked the oil level and the dip stick came out clean. Went to add more oil using the fill hole and the oil level was all the way to the top of the fill hole, I could not add more oil if I wanted to.

The service manual says to run the engine for 3-5 minutes to allow the oil to cycle through the system. Again I let it run for about a 1 minute but now I am afraid to let it run any longer.

Old 05-10-2016, 05:59 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Just fishing here and I know it doesn't have an out board oil tank like the old Sportsman 500 had,but it still has a crank case vent tube somewhere. Have you tried clamping if off for a few seconds when running? This might help prime up the oil pump and get things circulating quick and pull the oil level down.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:22 AM
Pro Rider

I'll look tonight for the crank case vent tube and try plugging it temporarily to see if that helps. Seems like a good idea.

Old 05-14-2016, 04:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Where exactly are you putting the oil? You should be putting it in the same hole the dipstick came out of.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:15 PM
Pro Rider

The Rancher 420AT has separate locations for oil level check and oil fill. The fill cap is on the right side while the dip stick is on the left side. My other Rancher 420 (non AT) has only one location like you would normally see. Again this is the Rancher with the Automatic Transmission (Dual Clutch Transmission) that has separate locations for each.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry I guess I didn't read your post right.

Old 05-17-2016, 02:32 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

The old CVT Honda autos were pigs for the oil level taking ages to settle after an oil change. With them I suspect you only got about half the oil out, as they had a normal "sump" and a sort of cast alloy tank clamped on the front of the engine with the filler cap in it.

Anyway, if it hasn't gone down overnight, I would drain a bit out. That oil filler is in the most stupid place ever, on the 420AT. What were Honda thinking of, to put it where you have to remove the plastics to top up!

Old 05-23-2016, 01:13 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the replies. After letting the ATV sit over night, the oil level from the filler hole settled and the dipsick on the opposite indicated the correct amount of oil, so I thought things were good. Started it up road it around the yard a bit probably only 5 -10 minutes at most, just for the heck of it I opened the filler cap and again the oil was to the top. Check the oil level on the dip stick and no oil so I am back to square one. Could the new oil filter be defective? I am certain I installed it correctly. Anyway I am thinking about draining the new oil and replacing the new filter with another new filter and new oil. Thoughts?

Old 05-23-2016, 01:21 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Let it sit awhile and see if it goes back down to the correct level. A lot of machines are like that.

Old 05-23-2016, 04:10 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by RedRancher
Thanks for the replies. After letting the ATV sit over night, the oil level from the filler hole settled and the dipsick on the opposite indicated the correct amount of oil, so I thought things were good. Started it up road it around the yard a bit probably only 5 -10 minutes at most, just for the heck of it I opened the filler cap and again the oil was to the top. Check the oil level on the dip stick and no oil so I am back to square one. Could the new oil filter be defective? I am certain I installed it correctly. Anyway I am thinking about draining the new oil and replacing the new filter with another new filter and new oil. Thoughts?
Is the crankcase ventilation free and clear/open?

Quick Reply: Rancher 420AT...oil is up to the top of the fill hole