Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda 350 neutral gear wire

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 03:26 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts
Default Honda 350 neutral gear wire

Had an unusual fault on a Honda 350ES this week. The bike is a cockle pickers machine, they are always sub-scrap, with no brakes, most of the electrics bodged or removed, and covered in rust. Anyway the cockle beds open next week (government controlled) and he wanted the carb cleaning and the rear axle un-seizing, ready for the new season. I got the jobs done, but when he came to pick it up it wouldn’t start. Checked it over, if it still had a dash, electric shift, or normal starter set up, I would have found the fault quicker, but starting is now by shorting a dinner knife across the solenoid. Anyway, it tuned out to be the neutral gear indicator wire not earthing. I connected an extra wire from the diode wire to the negative battery post and starting was restored. What I can’t understand is why, when it is running, the bike doesn’t need this earth wire, but won’t spark without it when starting. The system is DC CDI so presumably not to do with little power coming from the alternator during starting.

Old 10-23-2016, 05:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

So you saying starter wont enage until you short out solenoid? are wont spark at plug while starting ?

Old 10-24-2016, 02:28 AM
Elite Pro Rider

The solenoid has not operated from the button for a couple of years, the owner just puts the knife across and shorts the terminals to start. The problem that has just happened is the bike wouldn't spark when you tried to start it this way. I checked out all the wires at the CDI and found the one from the neutral indicator (pale green/red) wasn't showing a connection to earth. When I did earth this wire, it started to spark, but it obviously doesn't need this wire earthed once running, or the engine would stop when you engage a gear. I did try removing my extra earth wire with the engine running, and it continued to do so, but wouldn't re-start without it connected.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider

Does frame have an crack or break in it close to harness ground,May try another cdi...Honda had issues with the 1995 and 1996 trx300 fourtrax wouldnt spark until release starting button.But I havent had any issues with that on any trx350 ranchers yet just an ideal.....But I have had issues with broke or crack frames on other atv before..Hope this help...

Old 11-25-2016, 04:32 PM
Pro Rider

Did you get this atv fixed? what did you find the problem was?

Old 11-26-2016, 07:58 AM
Elite Pro Rider

It wasn't a problem once I worked out that if I earthed the wire that goes from the diode to the CDI, which normally is earthed when you are in neutral, the bike would start OK.

What I wrote in about was why should this wire be there, why should Honda design in a wire which stops it sparking if the starter is turned when not in neutral, as it already has a lockout which stops the start button working if it isn't in neutral anyway. Could this have anything to do with the much posted about problem of bikes that only spark when you take your finger off the start button?