Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rubicon carb slide sticking

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 10:48 PM
JRM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubicon carb slide sticking

Iv never seen a cv carb slide go bad, but mine keeps sticking- causing obvious carburation problems and stalling- I pulled it out, has visible scuffing. Is this a common failure? If I spray it with silicone I get a few more hours of clean carburation before it starts hanging again.
where is the best parts site to order from?
Thanks, Joe

Old 12-16-2016, 03:10 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Afraid it is common to the carb fitted to 500 Hondas. I ended up fitting a new slide assembly to one a couple of years ago, but it did stick again about a month back. Never had the problem with the smaller carb fitted to 300 to 450 models. The 500 carbs are also more prone to wearing the needle and holed diaphragms.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:49 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is the slide plastic or metal?

Old 12-16-2016, 10:15 PM
JRM
Pro Rider

its a grey plastic composite of some sort. ill order a new one and drop it in- fingers crossed

Old 12-19-2016, 10:36 AM
Pro Rider

I have 4 similar plastic CV type slides in my Vmax...light coat of WD40 or similar will help increase the lifespan/operation...

Old 03-19-2017, 10:07 PM
JRM
Pro Rider

Bringing this old thread back, I dropped in a new $80 slide and it worked perfect....for a day. So since that cured it for ultra short time I assume that's the problem- so, fast forward to today- Almost didn't get it back to the house it was acting up so bad. Even on a gravel road at 35mph with steady throttle it began to lean out and backfire- then carbureted ok for a few seconds. Its really awful at low speeds, only runs clean at WOT. SO- what on earth should I do? Cant do a $80 slide every time I want to ride- Is the newer 2007+ larger carburetor a drop in replacement? This is a Mint 2001 Rubicon with only 700 miles on it, always fed ethanol free fuel- totally pampered as it lives its life in the back of my heated garage but this darn CV POS of a carb has me beside myself. Here is a video I took when it first started to happen- beginning and then around the 6 min mark are best

Old 03-20-2017, 03:02 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Sorry to hear my "fix" didn't work. However there is only two things it could be, either the piston worn and sticking, or the carb body worn and sticking. I would give the part where the piston runs a good clean with metal polish, making sure you get it all off afterwards. I can't see oiling it working, as the piston gets a constant spray of fuel mist which will clean any oil off in seconds, but no harm in trying. I sometimes wonder if the back spray, caused by fairly wild cam timing, is the problem, and that cam chain stretch, causing even wilder timing, may be at the root of the excessive carb wear problem. However it may be cheaper, and a lot easier, to fit a new carb than to investigate the valve timing.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:27 PM
Pro Rider

Sometimes carbs just wear out...

Old 03-20-2017, 03:07 PM
JRM
Pro Rider

Reached out to some of my friends who went threw MIT, they said to buy a EFI quad and stop being cheap- but did give some advice that I think I will try:
1. Do the Rincon carb mod- where Rincon owners cut 2" off the spring and drill the vacuum hole in the slide larger to get faster throttle response, since mine acts up when asked for power its the upward movement that's sticking- so this mod may just work??? I will drill my old slide as a test. Will report back with results.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:10 AM
Pro Rider

Drilling the slides is also a Vmax mod...unfortunately many have had mixed results. if you're going to trim the spring & drill the slide, do it in very small increments...because once you go down this path it is VERY hard to reverse course...