Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

theres white stuff in my oil. can someone tell me if this is normal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 03:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default theres white stuff in my oil. can someone tell me if this is normal?

so i drained my oil because i thought there might be gas in it. i now see that it looks like the whole thing is filled with bubbles and theres white stuff when i mix it. yesterday after i rode it for a while the oil was very thin. what are your thoughts?
http://imgur.com/GUwAMu9
http://imgur.com/A5y0a5u
http://imgur.com/V1oTA0X
http://imgur.com/5aB1SdV

Old 01-20-2017, 05:54 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Air cooled,water cooled? Either way you're changing oil and I'd keep a check on it. If it's running good,not smoking from either oil or coolant could possibly be just moisture that's accumulated from the air box/filter into the crank case over a period of time.Others can help,just post what machine you have.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:17 PM
Pro Rider

If you only drive short distances in cold weather, it may not get hot enough to boil off water vapor. My Arctic Cat 500 does that sometimes in winter if I only short trip it. I send a sample to Blackstone Labs, they caught the slightly elevated water.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
01 AC 500M-111616.pdf (18.7 KB, 51 views)
Old 01-20-2017, 06:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Well if the engine was warm then the oil will be thinner than when it is cold. Does appear to have a little water mixed in. As OPT stated could be serious condensation depending on where your machine is stored. If it is a water cooled engine then a possible coolant leak. I would change the oil and run it for a short while then change it again. You have to get the water out of the crankcase or other problems can occur. Dis anyone put any oil additives into the crankcase??

Old 01-20-2017, 06:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

pretty sure there is not water in there. also when i drained the oil i probably would of seen it since water and oil dont mix so there would of been a layer of water on the top, but there was none. there isnt condensation here either. it smokes a ton out of the header though, even when theres no oil on the pipe to burn off or water. also after running it for a while after you turn it off, smoke slowly comes out of the end of the exhaust, like you were to blow out a candle.
its a 2004 honda 400ex by the way

Old 01-20-2017, 08:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, your theory on water(or coolant) and oil goes out the window when you throw them into a motor/tranny and they get whipped together. Being a 400ex it isn't coolant, but may still be water or fuel. Did you smell gas when you changed the oil?

Old 01-20-2017, 08:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

i dont think i smelled gas, but i didnt directly smell it. i wont be home till monday to see if it smells like gas again sadly.but i dont think its water from condensation because it hasnt been the correct weather out really for that in my opinion. also it hasnt shown signs of condensation in other places at all, like header, plastics, etc. i just dont see it being water. but i mean i could be wrong i guess