Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2003 Honda Rancher 350FE ES Shifting problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 03:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Honda Rancher 350FE ES Shifting problem

Hi everybody,
I have searched countless threads about electric shifting problems, but I don't see any with the problems mine seems to have. It is a 2003 Honda Rancher 350 FE ES (electric shift). I started it up about a month ago. It is pretty cold natured and takes a few minutes to warm up. As it was trying to warm up, it stalled. I think it was because the choke vibrates down and it wasn't warmed up enough to run without it. When I cranked it again, it cranked for a split second, then everything went dead including all the dash lights. Now if you turn the key the neutral light will flash dimly for a second, and then everything on the dash goes dead. I checked over all the ground connections I can find and don't see anything loose. I replaced the key switch. Made no difference. I can pull start it, and the dash comes to life nice and bright. It will go into 1st gear with the thumb switch, but won't come out of 1st unless you use the manual wrench. Weather it is in neutral or 1st gear, the indicator flashes 6 times which I have read is the ecu so I put a new one on and it does exactly the same thing. One thing I have noticed is that with the key off, the battery voltage reads 12.5. If I turn the key on, it reads only about 3.6 volts. If I start it with the pull cord and it's running, the voltage reads almost 13 volts. These readings were at the battery. Any advice?

Old 01-21-2017, 03:01 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Probably a dead battery, charge it up and then get it load tested, or just fit a new one. Make sure the battery terminals are clean and tight.

Old 01-21-2017, 12:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

I did a little more experimenting and found that the lights don't come on with the key on, but if I turn them off the whole dash lights up. Also the start solenoid lightly rattles if I hit the start button with lights off. I took the battery out and checked voltage with a meter. 12.6 volts. I guess the next step is to take the battery somewhere and have a load test done. Maybe the electric shift isn't working right because of not enough voltage?

Old 02-16-2017, 06:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well, it turned out to be the battery. I got caught up in trouble codes and overlooked the most obvious problem. Thanks merryman.