Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

testing kill switch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 08:42 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default testing kill switch?

I have an 02 foreman 450 es that hardly gets used, super low miles.
poor baby has no spark. I have no voltage to the coil, and I am wondering whats the next easiest thing upstream to test.
I took off the left handlebar cluster to check the kill switch but it seems to be sealed. anybody know a convenient way to test/ bypass it so i can rule it out?

thanks in advance

Old 01-26-2017, 09:08 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

I would think testing the wires with an ohm meter would tell you if it's working or not.

Old 01-26-2017, 09:08 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

And welcome to the forums.

Old 01-26-2017, 09:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks yawls. the switch is sealed. there is only access to one terminal which shows neither voltage, or resistance reading. fairly sure this switch has three terminals total. just cant get to the necessaries without destroying it. just hoping to bypass

Old 01-27-2017, 02:53 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

It is extremely unlikely to be that switch. The 450 is peculiar in that a faulty voltage regulator usually kills the spark. This doesn't happen on other models but, if a new spark plug doesn't bring the spark back, I always swap the voltage regulator on a 450, to eliminate that.

If you do want to "do the tests" they involve checking the wires to the CDI plug, the ones from the kill switch are black/white, live with ignition on, fed from the ignition fuse.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by merryman
It is extremely unlikely to be that switch. The 450 is peculiar in that a faulty voltage regulator usually kills the spark. This doesn't happen on other models but, if a new spark plug doesn't bring the spark back, I always swap the voltage regulator on a 450, to eliminate that.

If you do want to "do the tests" they involve checking the wires to the CDI plug, the ones from the kill switch are black/white, live with ignition on, fed from the ignition fuse.
Extremely grateful for the info. I will just go ahead and order the voltage regulator. Is that a straightforward thing to purchase? IE is there more than one item considered a voltage regulator? and where does it hang out on my machine? (sorry to sound so dumb)

Phil

Old 01-28-2017, 05:34 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Sadly, a voltage regulator is quite expensive. A 3" x 4" aprox rectangular box with a plug on the end with three yellow wires, one red and one green going to it. The genuine 450 one doesn't have fins but the 350 reg fits and is a lot cheaper. It is on the right hand side of the frame under the rear wheel arch. May be worth just unplugging it and checking for a spark, don't run the bike without a regulator though. The plugs are difficult to get off, press down on the little plastic catch and wiggle the plug.

Old 01-30-2017, 05:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

bought a regulator, fraid it didnt fix the problem. Kinda tempted to part this thing out for spare parts and put the money toward a new one.
Am I a loser or what. anyway. (no need to answer that) I have had this thing since new in 2002 and it only has 1000 miles on it. wondering if it would be worth pulling apart.

Old 01-31-2017, 02:53 AM
Elite Pro Rider

If the bike is in good order, it is worth getting fixed. The 450 was Honda's most reliable bike, and is sought after for that reason. Here in the UK "runners" still make over £1000.

Did you check that the black/white is live with ignition on?
At the CDI, the green/white should be earthed.
The yellow should be connected to one of the alternator wires.
The blue/yellow comes from the pulse generator, so you should get a small AC voltage between it and earth when the engine is turned over.
The black/yellow goes to the ignition coil. A much bigger AC voltage should be present between the coil end of this wire and earth when the engine is turned over.

These tests may be best done by a Honda dealer, they can substitute components and, if they don't bring the spark, put them back on the shelf, you have to "buy em to try em."

Old 01-31-2017, 09:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

Odd that it didnt cross my mind to see where you're from. I live in usa but I am from England, strikes me as as interesting to be chatting cross atlantic without realising.

anyway, where is the black/ white? at the ignition or coil or what.

is the pulse generator where the points used to be?

(sorry, its been a while since i tinkered)