Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Another rancher es shift problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 05:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another rancher es shift problem

I have a 2001 rancher es in the shop that does not shift....
*would not shift manually until I remover the shift motor (locked up) the angle sensor was out of spec so I replaced. Still no voltage going to the motor.
*checked voltage to angle sensor, 5v
*check continuity between angle sensor and cdi, good
*check continuity on handle bar switch to cdi, good
*checked voltage from handle bar switch. It applies 5v on the wire I'm checking in one position but applies 2v on the same wire when pressing the other button.
*all power wire's are good and have continuity
*all grounds have continuity
*checked the speed sensor, pulses 5v
*speedometer works
*gear indicator works when manually shifted
*battery 13v
*all fuses good
I'm running out of ideas? Could it be a bad cdi? Any help on the subject is appreciated! I also have the manual

Old 03-04-2017, 07:06 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Fairly obvious but if the motor was seized, did it blow the motor fuse (30 Amp in the fuse box).

The ES computer is separate from the CDI. The early 350ES is a bit difficult to check as it doesn't have the fault code system of later machines. If you have checked out all the fault finding procedures in the manual and it looks like the ES computer is at fault, I give the customer the option of buying a new ES module or going for a change to foot shift, given the price they always go for foot shift. Here in the UK we have to make the pedal. I believe they are available on eBay in the US. We take the gears out between gearchange motor and shift linkage to reduce drag.

Old 03-04-2017, 08:05 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks merryman! It had not blown the fuse because the plug that feeds power to the fuse had come apart.