Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

1987 Honda Foreman trx350D no spark

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 08:27 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 Honda Foreman trx350D no spark

Need help with a 87 trx350D 4x4 no spark? Bought a new OEM CDI box matches the old part number Along with a new coil and sparkplug and still no spark? Bypassed the ignition switch still no luck bypassed the kill switch and left the kill circuit open so should fire tried to crank it over with the circuit open and closed still no spark? I have came to 2 conclusions the over heat fan isn't cutting on at all when I would turn the switch on but the fan really box will click a few times and stop the wires are live when the box clicks but the fan remains at a standstill? Fan turns freely can spin it with added juice and still nothing? Would this throw the quad into a safety mode killing spark to the plug? Or would this be something to do with the pick up pulse and how would I go about removing the stator cover when the drive shaft is in the way of removing the stator cover? Would i have to unbolt the rear end with the drive shaft hook up just to remove the stator cover or does the drive shaft slide apart? Any help will be apreashested thanks

Old 03-08-2017, 08:30 PM
Trailblazer

RK44, replied to you on the other thread, but I'll paste it below in case someone else can use it.

From what I've found so far, the fan switch doesn't control the CDI or spark on the '87 model, but after '87 it does.

The repair manual listed below has tests for the pulse coil, ignition coil, and CDI. I think the stator and/or pulse coil can be serviced just by removing the side cover, but check the manual. You can download the manuals or view them online.

RK44, see if this helps any.

Just picked up an 87 TRX350D Foreman and ended up here troubleshooting.

Just found out the neutral switch wire that runs to the CDI (light green/red stripe at cdi) is apparently broken. Neutral light on the dash was working, but the engine had no spark and no fuel pump prime.

Light Green wire from the neutral switch, plugs into a Light Green/Red stripe wire at the bundle of bullet connectors near the kickstarter, petcock, and frame. I unplugged that wire and grounded the Lt G/Red (harness side of the plug), and bingo, got spark.

Repair manual can be viewed or downloaded here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/yq2442...oreman+350.pdf

Be sure to use the info for Foreman not Fourtrax, and some info is specific for the year, wiring diagrams, specs, adjustments, etc.

Owner's Manual is here: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/68...page=28#manual

Using the repair manual, I tested the ignition coil and was about to do the CDI, but tried the neutral wire first. Only took an hour to get it started once the plastic was off. She needs a lot of TLC though.

Found some good info here!

Old 03-08-2017, 08:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Collar Bones

Thank you will try this tomorrow afternoon also to remove the stator cover I will have to remove the drive shaft if that doesn't work to inspect my stator and pulse pick up also my quad says on the plastics Foreman fourtrax 4x4 so which would it be but on the I.D plate it says 8/86 model 1987 trx350D so 87?

Old 03-08-2017, 09:27 PM
Trailblazer

Should be an '87 if 1987 is on the ID.

Stator only matters if it's not charging the battery, but that can be tested by the wiring harness. The pulse coil can be checked by the wire, which is on the right side of the machine. Blue/yellow stripe wire, test with ohm meter between that wire and ground on the frame. Look for 300-360 ohms.

Ign. coil test #1 ..... With the coil mounted on the bike, remove the two wires on the front. Touch one ohm meter lead to the terminal closest to the engine, put the other lead into the spark plug wire cap should see 7.5 to 10.8 ohms.

#2 - Repeat the above test with plug wire cap removed, should see 3.7 to 4.5 ohms.

#3 - - Put meter leads on each terminal, should see .1-.2 ohms.

There's a drawing in the manual.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:36 PM
Trailblazer

left the kill circuit open so should fire tried to crank it over with the circuit open and closed still no spark?
Kill circuit has to be closed to allow spark/run.

Manual shows black/green and black/white must be connected together (normally in the switch) for "Run". So if you just unplug the kill switch, it won't fire.

Now somehow the previous owner of my 350D has the kill switch so both off positions are 'run', and the 'run' position shuts it off. I looked for his mod, but it was hard to see inside the switch without gutting it. Once I got spark, I quit. He said he did it because the kill switch was bad.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Neutral safety switch

My neutral safety Greek light lights up but would it cause no spark if the neutral safety switch is faulty? Also trying from what the post suggested might gaine spark again Will try this first also don't have a ohm tester
​​​​​​ meter

Old 03-08-2017, 10:06 PM
Trailblazer

That's how mine was today, had the green light, no spark. Unplugged the green/red wire and grounded it to the frame, got spark. In this configuration the light stays on in gear and it will start in gear. Need to recheck the light tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure that's how it was with the wire grounded. Also get the green light with everything connected normally.

Took the neutral switch out and tested (oil drained), couldn't get it to read anything. So my neutral switch is bad and not grounding when the trans is in neutral.

You're pretty much guessing without a meter. Lowe's has some good ones around $20, the $5 Harbor Freight meters aren't real reliable. I've seen 3 of those just sizzle and smoke when hooked to 12v, so I won't buy parts based on what the HF meter says.

Old 03-08-2017, 10:12 PM
Trailblazer

And to answer your question... Yes, the green/red wire goes to the CDI. When that wire grounds, the CDI allows spark and fuel pump prime.

Do you ever hear the fuel pump run for a couple of seconds when you turn the key on? It won't happen every time, only when the fuel pressure has dropped off. No prime ever might be a good indicator the CDI is not getting a signal. But then there's also a rollover switch that can cut fuel pump power, so that can fail too. Manual shows a bypass to test this.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:15 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Neutral green with red strip wire

Grounded the green with red strip wire and still no spark plugged it back to the green wire it connects to skint the wire by the CDI and grounded it green light litt up still no spark tried the kill switch with this procedure and still no fire just about stumped only thing I can think of is either something to do with the kill switch or stator pulse pick up also it appears my kill switch is missing a wire I found the black wire with the white stripe does anyone know what the color of the other wire for the kill switch?

Old 03-16-2017, 04:57 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by RK44
Grounded the green with red strip wire and still no spark plugged it back to the green wire it connects to skint the wire by the CDI and grounded it green light litt up still no spark tried the kill switch with this procedure and still no fire just about stumped only thing I can think of is either something to do with the kill switch or stator pulse pick up also it appears my kill switch is missing a wire I found the black wire with the white stripe does anyone know what the color of the other wire for the kill switch?
You can't ground the kill switch to get spark. Post #5 has the wire info for the kill switch... black/green and black/white .. when those two are together, that is the "run" circuit.