Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Question about Purchasing new Honda 2016 FourTrax foreman

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 01:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Purchasing new Honda 2016 FourTrax foreman

looking at a new 2016 model is it worth it to pay the extra money for the power steering? How about the electronic shift? In general is this a good vehicle for working, hunting etc nothing major but some mild trail riding as well?

Thanks

Old 03-09-2017, 06:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jacads
looking at a new 2016 model is it worth it to pay the extra money for the power steering? How about the electronic shift? In general is this a good vehicle for working, hunting etc nothing major but some mild trail riding as well?

Thanks

Honda's have a very good reputation.....except for the electronic shift trannies. Unfortunately they have had expensive issues. Power steering is sought after on many machines but only you can be the judge on that one by trying one with and one without power steering. I would definetly choose the 5 speed tranny if it were me, other wise great machines!

Old 03-10-2017, 02:15 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

The new range has been very reliable up to now and the 420 version is proving popular with UK farmers. Those who chose power steering recon they won't go back to a machine without it. Personally I would avoid the full auto, as you don't know when it will decide to change gear. ES wasn't a big problem on the old 420, oddly enough few owners chose ES on the pre 2012 500, but it had other gearbox problems anyway. We sold few 2012 to 14 500s as UK farming was in a bad way until the pound's value fell last autumn.

Old 03-10-2017, 05:48 AM
Trailblazer

Also with Electric shift your left hand will be busy with shifting. You may not think it is a big deal to have both hands busy until you need to hold something on the front/rear rack or you need your left hand for something.

Old 03-10-2017, 01:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can get the Rubicon and have the option of either fully auto or ES shifting if you want. Honda makes solid, reliable machines but if I were buying new, they would be way down on the list. For the same price(or less) you can buy a competitor's machine that is fully auto with cvt, diff-lock, irs, power steering and more power along with more towing and hauling capacity. The only thing Honda makes any more that impresses me is the Pioneer 1000 utv. The Yamaha Kodiak and Can-Am Outlander L series are 2 I would seriously look at. Arctic Cat has a new entry level 700cc utility quad called the VLX 700. It lacks the fancy display pod the other models have, just lights telling you what gear you're in, no speedo or odometer. But it retails at $5999 so most likely you can get it for less, no quad ever sells for retail price. The 695cc single cylinder is a proven engine and makes more power than any engine Honda has ever put in a utility quad, considerably more. It does lack diff-lock and power steering isn't an option but for the price, I think its a good value.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

If you check the various Honda forums you will find some serious complaints about their electronic transmissions on all the models so equipped. Those with the 5 speed transmissions (auto clutch) have few if any complaints. Look at the used sales of Honda's with automatic trans right after the warranty runs out, (1-3 yrs old) people want to get rid of them right after warranty so they don't get hit with expensive repairs. Many other machines on the market for less or equal money with better features, you could buy a Kymco machine (great reputation) with a 4 yr warranty for less money and it comes with all the bells and whistles and will outperform the Honda.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider

You have to be careful asking a forum for purchasing help, folks tend to recommend what they have, bash what they have little to no experience with, all while spreading myths in the process. Best to do your own research.

With that said, the foreman is a great machine for what your asking but it wouldn't hurt taking a look at what yamaha, suzuki and Kawasaki have to offer as well. All are great machines with different high points. Can am and polaris make great machines as well, but they are more geared towards performance.

Old 03-11-2017, 07:40 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In the end, buy what you like. I'd definitely look at all models in your price range and just pick out the one you like the best. That's why I always list several different models when someone asks what to get. I'm not necessarily pushing one over the other but just trying to include all options. What some people like best about one model might not be how you feel about it, you might like another model better. We're all different. If we were all the same, we would all ride the same thing because that would be the one everyone would pick. Just make sure you get a dealer that will let you test ride them. All the research and reviews and info are nice but if you ride it and don't like it, then you won't be happy. If I'm looking to buy something, I consider all brands in that segment and price range. Sometimes the model you thought you wanted to get ends up not being the one you like the best.

Old 03-11-2017, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

If you plan on plowing snow I'd get the power steering. Power steering also absorbs some of the shock when you hit a rock, root, or other obstruction. Going downhill, where most of the weight goes on the front, it's a nice option to have. So, in my opinion, get it. You'll never regret having it.

Old 03-11-2017, 02:33 PM
Pro Rider

Greg, I wasn't directing that to you, pointing out real differences and options while stating opinions is helpful, I was more referring to the comments like "look at used sales of hondas with automatic trans right after the warranty is up, people want to get rid of them right after warranty so they don't get hit with expensive repairs", obviously that's not true