Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

1996 TRX300FW. Rear brake drum will not come off

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 07:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 TRX300FW. Rear brake drum will not come off

Brakes were froze up I tapped on lever back and forth to free it up but is still not free enough for spring to do its thing. Problem is, although drum is free from brakes, it still will not come off. Is there something I'm missing?

Old 03-11-2017, 07:19 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

I've just hammered one on, so expect similar problems when I need to get it off again. The anti-squeal ring can distort and get hold of the shoes but rusty splines in the centre of the drum are common too. If it is stuck on the shaft, I find it easiest to remove the backplate, shaft and drum as a unit then press the shaft out of the assembly.

Old 03-11-2017, 04:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Finally got it loose!

Finally got it. One of the shoes broke loose from adhesive. Of coarse parts house is closed now. I do have one other question. Can't seem to find it on breakdown. Left side of axle (diff side). The small o-ring that goes behind tapered washer. I have another seal I thought went behind the o-ring. Kind of similar to an o-ring but about 2x wider and not round. Does it go behind that o ring?

Old 03-12-2017, 05:07 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

On the diff side, there is an O-ring, a flat washer, then the conical (Belville) washer then the nuts. On some models the large flat washer is not fitted. The "not quite an O-ring" goes on the brake drum side, similar to the diff side. Rubber ring, big flat washer, Belville washer, nuts.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:52 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by merryman
On the diff side, there is an O-ring, a flat washer, then the conical (Belville) washer then the nuts. On some models the large flat washer is not fitted. The "not quite an O-ring" goes on the brake drum side, similar to the diff side. Rubber ring, big flat washer, Belville washer, nuts.
yes. I seen where it went. Fit perfect. New it had to go there. Thanks for the reassurance !