Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Advice on Rubicon Oil Filter Brand

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 07:12 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on Rubicon Oil Filter Brand

I have a 2013 Honda rubicon and its oil change time! I don't mind forking out money for better quality , Which brand of oil filters do you guys use on your Rubicons/Foremans

Also do you use the Honda GN4 for oil?

Old 03-27-2017, 07:55 PM
Pro Rider

Stick with the Honda OEM filter, it's marked so that you don't put it in the wrong way (other brands aren't) and it's made in Japan. Other filters are usually made in China.

As far as oil goes, GN4 will work just fine but a good wet clutch safe synthetic will increase protection and reduce oil tempature. These engines share engine and tranny oil and the oil operates the hydraulic trans so it's especially important that the ruby gets frequent changes. Honda has HP-4s which is a wet clutch safe full synthetic. I've been using Belray full synthetic ester 10w40 that I got on sale in a few of my quads including the ruby but just about anything will work as long as it meets the requirements.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:08 PM
Trailblazer

I heard mobil 1 is really good syn oil, do they make filters as well?

Old 03-27-2017, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider

You can check if NAPA or Wix or Fram make em too. I've used NAPA Gold (made in EU) and Fram (USA) on my Arctic Cat's. They didn't seen to know the difference between those and the expensive dealer supplied Arctic Cat ones. Mobil One does make oil filters as does K&N, don't know if they make for your Honda. BTW, I always send a sample of used oil to Blackstone Labs, all the above filters did a good job.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:01 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Atvrider199
I heard mobil 1 is really good syn oil, do they make filters as well?
Im pretty sure that regular M1 synthetic is NOT wet clutch safe, they do make a 4-stroke oil that is wet clutch safe, not sure of the specific name of it though. Not sure if they make filters either. Like I said, you can't go wrong with Honda oil and filters if your unsure.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:24 PM
Trailblazer

Im just trying to buy the best i can i don't care about price, i will look into those filters you mentioned, and will also look into some oils

Old 03-28-2017, 01:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you buy oil in larger quantities, it is cheaper. 2 gallons would probably be enough for 3 oil changes, for instance. Quarts are a little easier to pour but buying it by the gallon is quite a bit cheaper. Basically a gallon costs the same as 3 quarts, so its like buying 3 quarts and getting one free. In all my Honda machines, I've always just used the Honda oil.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I would stay away from Fram filters, my company did some work for an independent oil company about the various oil filters and Fram came out at the bottom. There problem is high pressure bypass and coming apart under high pressure. The high pressure bypass is just a cardboard ring and prone to failure. Look into anyone that does serious racing, no one uses a Fram oil filter. I didn't realize your Ruby uses the same engine/transmission oil so take heed to what they are telling you about changing the oil frequently....very frequently! And yes Mobil One makes oil filters but one of the better is a K&N if you don't mind paying the price.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by greg74
If you buy oil in larger quantities, it is cheaper. 2 gallons would probably be enough for 3 oil changes, for instance..
The 01-14 Rubicons take 5 quarts lol

Old 03-29-2017, 12:24 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HondaR24
The 01-14 Rubicons take 5 quarts lol
Well, even better reason to buy by the gallon then lol.