Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rubicon Shift Problem

Old 03-23-2002, 07:53 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need help. My Rubicon is having major shift problems. After I start it and put in gear it will go about 50 ft. and then the shift indicators start to blink and the quad will not change gears in any shift mode. The LED does not show speed either, and is stuck on "0" no matter the speed. If I shut it off it seems to reset until I go another 50 feet or so. I have tried the resetting procedure recomened by my local dealer using the shift buttons when turning the key on but it does not help. I have noticed that if I go very slow it will not act up but as soon as I get on the gas the problem occurs. The last time I rode it worked fine (in the snow). I paarked it and then this happened the next time I went to ride. The machine is out of warranty (of course) so any help would be greatly appreciated[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 03-23-2002, 09:50 AM
Range Rover

Check the wiring going to all the sensors on the engine, I would guess that the speed sensor wire has been pulled of , or moisture gotinto one of the many connectors that effect the transmission.

Old 03-23-2002, 05:42 PM
Trailblazer

I would first try to disconnect the battery and let it sit for a minute or so,if that does not work the last suggestion of water in some connections could be it.I have know the angle sensor to cause problems like this but you should get an error code come up if it is.

Old 03-23-2002, 06:53 PM
Pro Rider

Good Luck.

Old 03-23-2002, 07:51 PM
Trailblazer

Hey mudud, do you still have your Rubis owners manual ? if you do. it has a section in there about blinking gears etc. but if you dont, directions to fix it, stop it, turn the ignition switch off, then back on. and then see if it works,if not . they recomend that you take it to the dealer and get it fixed.sum advice.. DONT ride it again until you get it checked out and fixed.. if you do it will screw up the transmission really bad and you might have to pay even more to get it fixed.

Old 03-24-2002, 01:14 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds like your shifter linkage needs adjusting. If its not perfectly in gear, it will not display the gear.

Old 03-24-2002, 12:43 PM
Pro Rider

Thenewfiebullet:

I know you think they are hard to diagnose because of you think they have all kinds of extra electrical. But to be honest they are one of the easiest atv's to diagnose a problem.

Old 03-24-2002, 07:16 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to purchase a shop manual. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM), or computer, senses a problem with something. It is reverting to what is called a "limp mode". The PCM is limiting the transmission functions so no damage will result from continued driving. There is a procedure where you turn the key on, engine off (KOEO) and hold down the two shift buttons at the same time. I don't have my shop manual with me so I am going by memory, have not done this before. When you do this, the instrument cluster will flash a "trouble code". You look this trouble code number up in your shop manual and it will tell you what circuit has the problem. For example, if the code indicated an angle postion sensor problem, (angle of swash plate inside trans), the problem could be water in the connector, a sensor problem, wiring problem, a problem with the angle of the swash plate, or the computer. Sometimes more diagnosing is needed but it will tell you what area the problem is in.

You just happen to own an ATV, and I am quite sure the only ATV, that is capable of "self diagnosis", this is a good example of modern technology and where ATVs are going. It will be the same when they start fuel injecting these things. Can't wait.

Good luck,

Specta

Old 03-28-2002, 10:18 AM
Pro Rider

Let us know what the problem ends up being.

Thanks,

Specta

Old 04-11-2002, 05:28 PM
Pro Rider

did you ever get your shifting problem cured?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rubicon Shift Problem