Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

250x Chain came off. Leaks oil now.

Old 06-02-2002, 11:49 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got a TRX250X for the kid.The chain looked to be ajusted ok. But after 1 week of riding it came off. And I now have a oil leak between the chain case and motor. I pulled the cover off and the person who last put it together used orange RTV sealent. Is this suposed to have a gasket? Cause it doesn't apear to have a crack anywhere. I'm hopping it just broke the seal of the RTV sealent lose.Also is there a chain case saver for this ATV? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 06-02-2002, 11:58 AM
Pro Rider

You might be lucky and just have a bad seal. Remove the seal and check closely for any cracks around the area. Sometimes, for a "quick fix" you can patch up small ones with JB Weld. Bad ones needs a welder/machinist. I'm sure there are case savers for that machine, just gotta look. Try James Lucky for a start.

Old 06-02-2002, 12:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply. I got it apart and I don't see any cracks. I'm going to the dealer tomorrow to see if the list a gasket for it. I also notest the front sprocket is sloppy on the shaft is this normal?Thanks again.

Old 06-02-2002, 05:41 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah it should have a gasket and as for the front sprocket i dont remember mine ever being loose on the shaft, i would check that out.

Old 06-02-2002, 07:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply. I found a chunk missing on the top of the side cover. It's about the size half the size of a dime. Hope it can be fixed.

Old 06-03-2002, 02:56 AM
Range Rover

A friend of mines did ths when his chain got loose, The slack n his chain went to the front of the sproket and got bad enough that it rubbed a hole in the case. He used black sealer and it held up for about a year and a half. His carrier berrings also went out at the same time the chain got loose. We eventually figured out that thecarrier berrings going out wasthe cause of th cain geting into the angle it needed to be to rub the case. If I wee you, i'd have it welded and fixed right, then watch it close so it dosent happen agian.

Old 06-03-2002, 07:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply. I am taking it to see if I can get It welded or if there is a epoxy syrong enough to hold it. I'll check out the rest of it to see if there is more going on. The carrier looks like someones had there hands in it. The ajuster has one bolt in the back of it for ajustment. Does't look like the one in the manual. I don't have any parts that your looking for but I'll keep my eyes open for you. Thanks for the reply.

Old 06-04-2002, 11:33 AM
Pro Rider

Every 250x I have owned or my friends have owned have slung a chain through the stator cover. The was a case saver that came on the from the factory, but most have been taken off and lost. You can find them in the aftermarket. To adjust the chain, you must loosen the two allen head bolts (at least factory is allen head, I have seen some that have been replaced with regular hex), Then roll the bearing carrier assembly backwards. There is defineletly a gasket behind the stator cover, but a GOOD sealant such a Threebond, will work also. I have also noticed many honda bikes that use the little piece of sheetmetal to hold the sprocket on having loose sprockets. My advice would be to purchase a new chain and sprockets while you are working on it.

Old 06-06-2002, 06:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you for the info. I orderd the new chain and sprockets and carrier bearings and seals. And I found the case saver in a box of old parts the kid we bought it from. Nice huh. I also found another nice surprise. The rear splines are wore down because the rear nuts and spacers weren't tite. I'm thinking about welding the hubs on. To get by for a while. With new bearings and chain sprockets It should last for some time? Then if it breaks I'll cut it off. Don't want to spend 200.00 for a axle right now. Thanks again for the reply.

Old 06-06-2002, 04:09 PM
Pro Rider

Please DO NOT weld the hubs on. I have had good luck with simply tightening the hub nuts tighter than normal. If there is any spline left at all, it will work with the extremely tight nuts. Welded on hubs is the first thing that turns me away from an atv purchase. I have seen axles (the one that was in my current 250x) that was welded. It worked alright until the weld broke and I couldn't get the hub lined up straight to reweld it.

I have also heard friends say they have wrapped duct tape around the axle splines and then installed the hubs. This takes some of the slope out of worn out spines.

JB Weld will work just fine on the stator cover. I personally have fixed 4 this way. Sand the epoxy at the gasket surface smooth with the rest of the cover. If you use epoxy, I wouldn't use the gasket, just a sealer such as Threebond that I recommended.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 250x Chain came off. Leaks oil now.