Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rincon ride review...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2002, 01:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a slug!! This is the ideal bike for a 300 lb senior citizen. No doubt they will sell thousands of them.

Old 07-03-2002, 01:40 PM
Pro Rider

<< What a slug!! This is the ideal bike for a 300 lb senior citizen. No doubt they will sell thousands of them. >>

LMFAO ! you have never ridden one, and probably never even seen one, how can you make such a stupid comment? I hope it was an attempt at humor.

Old 07-03-2002, 03:14 PM
Pro Rider

Jokeing, not really!! I think this is the market Honda is aiming for, the mom and pop recreational rider. It's just sapping more R&amp;D resources away from the performance end. And you're right, I have never ridden one and never hope to.

Actually, I'm biased because it isn't a bike that is well suited for the arid southwest. Utilities just don't sell out here. We don't have the mud and snow like the rest of the country. The best tactic in the desert is to use MOMENTUM to get through stuff, rather than GRAPPLING FOR TRACTION. Even the Rancher seems like a slug when you are use to riding performance bikes with aftermarket suspension. I only own utilities because in the mountains it gets rocky, and you need high ground clearance.

Old 07-03-2002, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider

Well,
Bear with me hear. I am a 2000 Kodiak 4X4 Auto owner. Love the machine but I do lots of large water crossings and the belt finally got wet and I am not happy at all with that. My partner has a 2002 450ES and compared to my Kodiak it is a heavy duty back woods machine. I am gonna trade her in. Looking at the Foreman but kind of waiting on the Rincon too.
I just do not understand why Honda did not put any kind of front end protection. Can you imagine what it will look like after busting brush or trying to make new trails?
Oh Well. Why won't they do front disc brakes?

Still, I'm going Honda.

Old 07-03-2002, 08:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] dosn't anyone think its kinda funny?, no dif lock no disc brakes, but i'm still going to buy one, Honda will never build anything any different until we stop buying what they want us to, if a dif lock is and disc brakes are important, buy something else, may be honda will pay attention after awhile..

Old 07-03-2002, 08:49 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah Honda is really pushing the envelope here, drum brakes, no locking diff and no low range. One thing we know for sure is that they will sell a ton of these things because it says Honda on the side. It is just a shame people are brand loyal and not interested in getting the best machine with the most features for the least amount of money regardless of who made the quad.
Bearman

Old 07-04-2002, 11:44 AM
Range Rover

You guys and your front disc brakes are so full of it,thats the last thing I'd want on there. Why mess with a great system? Have any of you had or heard of a problem with Honda's triple sealed drum brakes? I've seen and ridden enough atvs to know when your going through alot of water and mud your disc brakes don't work as well as the drum, will make more noise and will wear out a heck of alot faster.

01redrecon, I think this is sportier looking than praire, true it doesn't have a locking diff (the 2 yellow switches are for setting the tracloc and esp) but it does have an IRS, Radial tires, Stainless Steel exhaust and a beltless automatic transmission with some state-of-the-art features including eliminating the need for high-low range settings (info was in the &quot;torque converter&quot; link in the article). As far as ride,it sounds like it may be as soft in the corners as the P650 but we'll just have to wait and see. By the way,I think the Praire is a great machine and both of these machines would be perfect for me and my style of riding.

Old 07-04-2002, 12:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi guys, I'm with Ostie. I don't know where you ride but I am way past the &quot;lets see how far this thing will go before I get stuck&quot; stage. I would rather have a machine that I trust to get me 40 miles out and back. As far as the disc brakes I sold Yamahas last fall with disc brakes to get into these Rincons. Looks like I fit into the 300lb Senior citizen catagory. Im just glad I can afford them.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 07-04-2002, 01:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ostie,
I could'nt disagree with you more.Drum brakes are the LAST thing you want on a 4x4 quad if you ride in alot of mud/water.Triple sealed or not,the seals will eventually leak and than your SOL.Your drum style brakes will not perform[stop]well after playing in the mud/water,you will also have to disassemble the drums,clean,dry,and adjust every braking componet inside the drums.I've had this happen to every drum style ATV I have ever owned or worked on.

Disk brakes will wear out much quicker in the severe mud/water but they will at least stop you!

Im very disappointed that Honda did not put a locker mode and front disk brakes on this ATV,however,I still am going to buy one because of Honda's unending reputation for reliability.Im done with belts and POLARIS ATVs,PERIOD!

Bill

Old 07-04-2002, 01:59 PM
Pro Rider

Yes ostie I agree that the Rincon is sportior LOOKING than the prarie and is very high tech (good or bad??), but from the VERY short reveiw it doesnt sound as quick. But this article is just mostly explaining the statistics in paragraphs. Well just have to wait and see after they are sold.

Quick Reply: Rincon ride review...