Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Noise in clutch on 87trx250r

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2002, 11:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recently rebuilt engine upper and lower, new crank and bearings, new clutch basket also due to being cracked. The noise seems to be in the clutch area, cause when you pull the clutch lever in the noise seems to fade some what but not much. I used a Moose Billet Basket. I can only describe the noise as a chattering sound. Has anyone experianced any problems with a Moose Billet Basket? Or does anyone have any ideas.

Old 07-29-2002, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider

Make sure you have the clutch springs tight.

Old 07-29-2002, 06:38 AM
Pro Rider

some clutch baskets require grinding of one gear(primary maybe,can't remember now)) ...for clearance ..could this be the problem??
Also I have noticed alot of wear on kicker gears in the past...another possible noise from inside ..

Old 07-29-2002, 08:34 AM
Pro Rider

ds650dave is right. drain your oil, look for aluminum shavings in the oil. if you see this then the gear on the crankshaft is chewing on the billet basket. you will need to gring chamfers on the crankshaft gear to stop the noise. the reason i know this is i bought a hinson and had it put in and it did the same thing.
turbo bobby

Old 07-29-2002, 09:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

We checked the clearance there, my brother mentioned that cause he used a Hinson basket. So the main gear is not rubbing. The kickstart gear does have a wear mark around the outer part just below the teeth. We weren't sure about that wear cause there is no marks on the back of the clutch basket. We are going to take the stock basket out of my brothers since he to rebuild his engine, and see if that is problem.
Thanks Bryster

Old 07-30-2002, 07:38 AM
Pro Rider

don't know if I am right but,..nother thought,...
just pullin straws here ..or whatever ya call it,....but is there any "slop" in splines at inner hub???..a lil ok ..alil more no good ..causes slip too ..
also is waterpump bearings new ???..if not they squeal like crickets when goin .....occasionally..
but the CHATTERIN sounds (to me)like gears rubbing
or just some kind sound related to slopy fitting stuf..i realy do not know from here of coarse..
be sure to tell us outcome
perhaps safest thing to do is just make sure everything is in there,(& is ok)and in the correct order etc,...while rechecking all clearances would be terrible to have it come apart..& good luck..BRYSTER
I just recently went thru rebuilding entire 86 botom end .bearings,trans,crank,clutch,counterbalance shaft,etc,
(w/a buddy of mine )to prep for the ESR 310 power valve motor ..i was worried at first bout trans,clutch assemblies..(on first ride )...everything turned out ok ....thank god ....it was kinda a "toss up" as to who would ride it first ,...he did ,even tho it was my quad he he ..enuff ramblin........out!

Old 07-31-2002, 12:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks to everone for your the input. I'll post what I find for everone, so you all don't have to go thru what I'm going thru. I've missed two cross country races due to this problem.I don't plan on any rides or races until this problem is solved. These things cost too much.