Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

no clutch on 84atc 250r?

Old 08-05-2002, 02:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I burnt up my clutch. I replaced the springs, metal plates, fiber plates, ball inside clutch, and clutch cable. I soaked the plates overnight before installing them. I have to adjust the clutch cable down to the last thread on the side and all the way out on the lever. If I sit with the bike in gear and pull the clutch, it will slowly disengage and start to pull forward. I checked the basket and pressure plate and they seemed fine. I totally took the entire clutch apart a few times and put it back together again and still nothing. What is the problem?

Old 08-05-2002, 11:19 PM
The Facility

Have you already checked to make sure that the clutch actuating arm on the side case is positioned right?? It has to be in the right position for the cable to pull enough tension on it to move the pushrod.

I haven't been into an aircooled R engine in years, but does that one have the little ball at the end of the clutch pushrod?? If so, is it still there??

Considering that you did get the right clutchplates, your problem is somewhere between the clutch pushrod and clutch lever. There's not a whole lot involved with those parts, so I would assume that there is something minor that you are overlooking.

If you are like me, it will be the simplest of things and will make you want to quit wrenching because it was so obvious.

Good luck.

Old 08-06-2002, 12:28 PM
Pro Rider

It does have a little ball inside. I've taken this clutch apart so many times I can do it in about 10 minutes. Everything is there where it's supposed to be. I'm not sure about the actuating lever though. I've taken it out and put it back in. It only goes in one way. Should the round part of the lever be touching the rod or the side with the two different burrs sticking out? Do I need to remove the rod from the clutch and turn the lever and then put it back into place?

Old 08-06-2002, 11:22 PM
The Facility

When I have ran into a misaligned clutch arm, i just disconnect the cable and get as much slack as i can out of the arm by moving it in different locations until there is no slack left.

Try taking the arm out and drop it back in further toward the fron of the ATV. By doing this, you are allowing yourself alot more adjustability in the clutch cable adjustment.

BTW, have you checked the condition of the arm to make sure there were no worn spots on it where it meets the pushrod?? If so, it may be slipping slightly causing the misadjustment.