Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda Snowmobile??

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2002, 05:48 PM
Mar
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup Griss you know your stuff. Your Right about the 500 rotary being hard to start. But your wrong about the fit and finish. Its not even close. My best friend owns a SRX and even he will admit it. He also had a few issues with a crank failing in his 700 tripple. Yamaha and doo are pretty close in realibility, but i would give the upper hand to DOO since they have 3 times the amount of machines out there. Some dating back to the first one made.

Rotax engines are designed and built with lower tolarances and higher quality parts then yamaha will ever be. Thats why the bombardier quads dont normally have problems. Its the same thing.

Old 08-07-2002, 06:38 PM
imp
Weekend Warrior

All I know is any brand you drive is gonna break once in a while? It just depends on the dealer not so much the manufacturer as to how bad you get screwed. There was a time around where I live where is was mostly yammie sleds on the trail. The dealer would lend you his sled and work on yours all weekend if it was broken. I've even heard stories of him taking parts off sleds on the showroom floor to get a customers sled running[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] but alas the man passed away and his son is an assbag so we're back to square one when choosing what to ride. I would've bought a new mach z this year but the ski doo dealership in Pittsfield really put the screws to me a coupla years ago on a mxz 600 engine rebuild. So I vowed he wouldnt get any more money from me.
Yammie is the way to go for me, 4 dealers within an hour and fifteen minutes. so if I don't like one price I go on to the next. BY the way thanks for the info everybody, more sled manufactures mean more competition, and hopefully better machines?? cant wait to see what the RX1 does to the industry this year. Remember, if this was to dirt racing rules, it would compete in the 2 stroke 500 class?

Old 08-07-2002, 08:37 PM
Mar
Pro Rider

I can understand your point on the dealers but i have had 4 skidoos and never a problem that required going to the dealer. Maybe its good luck but i dout it. I never maintain anything and i drive very hard.

You should have bought the Mach Z its unbelivable. I dont know what yamaha you got but my buddies SRX losses in 1000 feet but 5-6 sled lengths against my stock Z. Its quite the beast.

Ive driven many yamahas and they would be my second choice, very smooth and somewhat reliable.

Old 08-07-2002, 11:57 PM
Trailblazer

99griz
So the Cat guy who hits a tree at 60 is a dumbass, but the summit rider who triggers an avalanche, kills himself and takes four of his buddies with him is a friggin' genius. Great logic.

Mar
Saying SkiDoo invented the dual carbide skis proves that you don't know what you're talking about, but just for the heck of it, tell me, when did SkiDoo invent the independent suspension?

Old 08-08-2002, 12:32 AM
Mar
Pro Rider

Trust me. I know the background on every skidoo inovation.

The dual carbide ski was invented by simmions. Skidoo just was the first manufactor to put it on a OEM sled. Aftermarket makes stuff way before factories this is nothing new.

As for the Independent Front suspention. It was first on a 1976 or 78 TNT or Blizzard. I cant remember exactly but it was in the 70s. I have seen many of them and will try to get a pic of one. However there very rare.

You see Elk. It turns out you dont know much about the industry. It all started when Cat put Independent A arms on there sled and patented it. Up until then there were no patents on sled items. Cat thought that they were way ahead of everyone because they tricked everyone. However skidoo came up with a almost comparable DSA front suspention and since then built and designed components that were way better then cat and pattented it. Now cats pattent ran out and its open season on front suspention. And the REV takes full advantage of it and skidoo has done what cat should have done but didnt.

Meanwhile cat had a great new DIRECT Fuel injection system for a 2 stroke which they were about the brag about but then bombardier told them to drop it because all of that technology was invented by evinrude outboards which is what bombardier purchesed.

Im not talking about sleds anymore on a ATV website anymore. Im sick of people putting down skidoo sleds when they keep reinventing the sport and protect it by spending millions on lawyers to keep parks and trails open. As for the comment competition makes better sleds, Not in doos case, Take a closer look they have no compatition.

Old 08-08-2002, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<< Why bother with Honda sleds. SKidoo is the only thing worthy of snow. >>

HEII YEAH !!!!

Old 08-08-2002, 12:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

Mar- I've enjoyed listening to you talk about mountain sleds. Where do you live again? Those aren't mountains. They are rolling hills. Come to the rockies. And what has one the last few sno-cross season. Who invented the ETT tunnel and torque link suspension. The front arm control. Battery-less EFI. Parobolic skis. Thats right it wasn't ski doo. Now I'm not saying their not good sleds but here where the snow is steep and deep any brand will beat any other with enough $$$. Don't go blowing smoke trying to convince people that ski doo's don't break down. Nobody here is that stupid. The DS didn't bring the sport back into the atv. Remember, they had to build one 250 cc bigger so they could run with honda's flagship. Too bad they cant give it a diet to get the weight down where it belongs. It is a good machine, but it is a lot easier to raise the bar than set it. Do you really think that Honda would release a sled with a good engine and sh!tty suspension. Not honda. it will be top notch. they have already spent there money on developing A-arm suspension and top notch shocks. Sounds to me like your a little worried what they might do.

Old 08-08-2002, 09:23 AM
Mar
Pro Rider

I never mountain ride anyway. My riding is like F1 Racing. Hard in and out of corners, blasting though valleys and just aggressive driving. I love having g-force in corners and your not gonna have that happen if your sled cant handle, Nor will you trust it when going into a corner.

You listed a few Arctic Cat innovations, Torque link suspention we can live without, ETT tunnel is probably one of there best and EFI is nothing special(Uses the same emount of fuel as carbs and offers less power). But it will start cold anyday.

YOu missed the best ARctic cat innvention. The Slider suspention. Before that all sleds used boogy wheels. So all companys have a couple good ones.

All sleds break down. Its just that dealers will confirm that skidoo has a very good percentage of not doing so.

Old 08-08-2002, 01:38 PM
Trailblazer

If you don't want to talk about sleds on this website, go to http://www.snowmobilenews.com/forum.cfm and go to the trash talkers board and and post what you sed hear.

Old 08-08-2002, 03:19 PM
Mar
Pro Rider

<< If you don't want to talk about sleds on this website, go to http://www.snowmobilenews.com/forum.cfm and go to the trash talkers board and and post what you sed hear. >>

What that a forum to talk about ARCTIC CAT.

I didnt trash talk at all. I just told it like it is. If you dont see it this way open your eyes.

Quick Reply: Honda Snowmobile??