Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Dwindling Riding Areas, what can we do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2002, 03:56 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,

I want to get myself back in riding quads again, going to be getting a new one here next week because of my stolen quad on july 29th. Anyhow, was wondering, where did all the riding go? It seems a lot of us are losing the places we loved best. I live in hillsville pa and over 75% riding is gone. What are we gonna do to save these places? I wish the manufacturers would see this and try to help as well. They would have an incredible influence. WE have to get involved to save this. Most folks dont care for the off road atv's because they are "too loud", or "tear up things", but they dont understand the irrelevance of that. Most riders I know are very careful and above all, dont litter. I strongly feel we have to clamp down and get involved with saving our hobby. Create write ups in the local papers, local news on tv, address to the local politicians, community meetings, etc....

I love riding as much as the next guy, but we gotta take care of this matter pretty quick and efficient.

Old 08-11-2002, 06:09 PM
Pro Rider

Most riders are considerate of landowners and others, for that simple fact. All it takes is a one or two idiots that don't care to ruin it for everyone. That's what happened to us. One area we have ridden in for 10-15 years was fenced off because a couple of kids got in there and trashed the place.

Old 08-11-2002, 07:00 PM
RIP Dear Friend

I saw what was coming with the Dwindling Riding Areas 5-6 years ago and decided to start going to auctions in our area and purchase my own place.

Now after four and half years of trail planning and lots of work we have developed our own place to get wild and crazy.

I am glad I took the plunge because a lot of areas in the last 4 years have been closed to the public.

Recreational property is getting harder to purchase and for me its turned out to be a good investment as the property values have really increased.

If I get tired of riding I can sell the place and have a better return than the stock market.

Chet

Old 08-13-2002, 12:25 AM
Range Rover

Hmm well I guess there wasnt as much interest in saving our riding area's as I hoped.

Old 08-13-2002, 12:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

We all care about having a place to ride. Urban sprawl encroaches on us every day as well as environmental groups who have concern about litter, noise pollution, exhaust pollution etc... You can't belive how much crap I get from people who have been my friends' for years about the DANGERS of Quad riding and how I will probably kill myself. I went in June to the Dirt Week Rally at the Hatfield McCoy trails in West Virgina and I was so impressed with the concept. The area is working on a 2000 mile trail system that will reach through 8 counties. The town's have made it legal to ride into town to gas up, go to the store or to Hardee's for a bite, for that matter. They are willing to cater to 4 wheeler's to bring income to a depressed area (the estimates are $3,000,000 in revenue, 3200 new jobs). The land is owned by private land owners and Coal Companies, the organizers take care of liability and they sell passes to access the trails. They have strict (well kinda) rules about helmets, riding double and alcohol. The plans are to expand into KY which for me would be swell. The only thing bad about it are the people out there that will abuse a cherished privlidge, to use somebody elses land and trash it in order to have a "good time". If we, that are willing treat the land and the earth with the respect it deserves, can work hard to change the attitudes of the non-belivers, we will always prevail, we will have wide open spaces in which to enjoy the sport that we all love!

Old 08-13-2002, 01:27 AM
Pro Rider

Read the posts! They all state the reason for area closures is obnoxious, destructive behavior by Richard Craniums. When you see knotheads messing up, tell them to quit! If that doesn't work, take photos/video and tell the authorities. Be willing to testify, and bother the authorities to make sure they prosecute. WE have to take responsibility for stopping the few bad elements among us, because the vast majority of responsible, ethical riders lose out due to the problems caused by the few lawbreakers. And yes, I have done this and will continue to do this. What other option do we have?

Old 08-13-2002, 01:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

Educate the ignorant, educate the ignorant, educate the ignorant. Work together to be a good example for the young riders and clean up after ourselves. Carry a couple of garbage bags around and hand them out freely, I do, you would be surprised at the reaction you get when you catch goof ***** in the act and be parental to tell them to clean up their act. I'm an old chick in body, not in mind.

Old 08-13-2002, 08:21 AM
Pro Rider

I agree with the fact that a disrespectful few do cause most of the problems. Going off trail, littering, riding foolishly. Don't get me wrong, I like to ride fast and do some climbing etc.. But there are places to do that, not ripping around blind corners on the left side of the trail. I have found out that land owners appreciate a thanks or wave when going by. I sometimes stop and talk to them and they really do. Talking to some they also say that for the most part atvers are a decent lot but there are a few renagades. The same goes with snowmobiling. There can be a sign saying "new seedlings" and some butt munch went straight across it. The next year that section of trail was gone. Have fun but do it in a responsible way. Join a atv club as they are making an effort to foster good will with the land owners and get more trails.

Old 08-13-2002, 11:19 AM
RIP Dear Friend

In our area within the last 8 months there has been 3 zones that have been closed.

Chet

Old 08-13-2002, 01:03 PM
Pro Rider

I am a fairly active member of the American Sand Association, an organization of 20,000 volunteers working to save dune areas throughout America. We are currently in court against the Sierra Club, Southwest Center for Biological Diversity and Public Employees for Environmental Responsibilty. It's a tough fight. And it's dammed expensive to fight them on their own grounds in the courts. We are not financed by scumbags like Ted Turner (who gives over $100,000 a year to the Sierra Club). We are financed 100% by member donations and business sponsors.
What all of us need to do is get organzied. Join the BlueRibbon Coalition. I'm a member of it. They are a coalition of all the off-roaders throughout America, and claim membership of over 700,000! Joining the BRC only costs you $30. That's a cheap way to fight back.
So, don't just sit and whine about losing your riding areas, FIGHT BACK!!

Quick Reply: Dwindling Riding Areas, what can we do?