Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

snowplow installation

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2002, 01:36 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have experience installing a snowplow on a rubicon? How difficult is it? I'm leaning toward a moose plow (using the winch to raise/lower it) - but i'd really like to install it myself instead of paying the dealer (they quoted me 3+ hours to install it!).

also - how important are chains? the average snow fall in our area is close to 130 inches each season.

thanks!

02 rubicon

Old 08-12-2002, 08:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Jaff
If you already have the winch, putting the plow on is nothing. Make sure you buy the proper mounting bracket when you get the plow. I have a 2001 Rancher 350 ES 4x4, I bought a moose plow with the mounting kit and installed everything in about 25 min.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] If you dont have a winch, it will take a little longer (about 1 hr for the winch). As for chains, I have not had to use any. My 350 4X4 seems to do OK. I dont get 100" of snow, but I have used it in snow up to 14" plowing my 14' x 65' driveway. What I did do was went to my local highway garage and got an old plow blade from them, cut it down to fit my moose plow, and used that. It helps in heavier snow so the plow doesn't ride up, it gives it a little better "bite" because its a little heavier than the stock moose blade.
Happy Plowing.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-13-2002, 11:12 AM
Trailblazer

thanks for the info. i already have a warn winch installed, so i'm going to do the installation myself (again, i can't believe that the dealer was quoting me 3+ hours knowing that the winch was already installed).

good advice on the putting more weight on that plow. that would seem to work well..

thanks again!

Old 08-13-2002, 03:27 PM
Pro Rider

The Moose blade is one of the heaviest on the market. I rarely have any trouble with it "riding up". As for mounting it...all you have to do is remove the front skidplate, and bolt the plow bracket on in it's place. It simply attaches with 4 U-bolts. Keep in mind that the plow bracket doesn't provide as much protection as the skidplate, but it covers quite a bit. They don't recommend trail riding with the plow bracket on, but as long as you stay away from the rough stuff, it's fine. I went with the 50" Moose plow, but the Rubicon will easily handle the 60". I have several tight places to get into, and the 60" just wasn't practical for me. As for chains, I've never had much use for them. They only really help when you're on ice. Otherwise, they tear up turf, gouge into asphalt, and scratch the heck out of concrete. Your best bet would be a set of aftermarket tires with a more aggressive tread. I always throw a couple of 75 lb. sandbags on the back rack to help with traction too. Hope this helps.