Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

make maps of ATV trails from GPS info ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2002, 01:39 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Garmin eTrex Vista. I use Garmin MapSource to do my mapping. The MapSource MetroGuide has trails in on most federal land and logging land.

Old 08-15-2002, 12:29 PM
Pro Rider

The Garmin E-Trex Vista looks like the hot new model. The new 76S is big, and bulky, but floats. Good for boaters but....
I have a Garmin e-map which I use with the Garmin U.S. Topo MapSource CD set. This mapset is based on the USGS maps. I can track my trails, then I copy and paste my "tracks" to a master map of all my trails, with USGS topo map details.
It is really cool. Garmin is very user friendly. Other brands will work, but you must have a mapping GPS, not just a regular GPS. The built in Maps, and the downloadable maps, combined with being able to upload tracks and waypoints from the GPS back to your computer make a GPS a really usable navigation tool. You must have a mapping GPS that accepts downloads from Mapsource, some models don't. As I said, the Garmin E-Trex Vista looks like the best model for ATVers right now.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 08-15-2002, 01:06 PM
Range Rover

I have an older GPS (3 years) that is not a mapping GPS and I can still use it for laying out my trail on my maptech program. There seems to be alot of very good units out there. A group of us hunt, fish and ATV together and because of that we all purchased the same name brand so we can help each other out in operating our units.

Old 08-15-2002, 01:20 PM
Pro Rider

<< The Garmin E-Trex Vista looks like the hot new model. The new 76S is big, and bulky, but floats. Good for boaters but....
I have a Garmin e-map which I use with the Garmin U.S. Topo MapSource CD set. This mapset is based on the USGS maps. I can track my trails, then I copy and paste my &quot;tracks&quot; to a master map of all my trails, with USGS topo map details.
It is really cool. Garmin is very user friendly. Other brands will work, but you must have a mapping GPS, not just a regular GPS. The built in Maps, and the downloadable maps, combined with being able to upload tracks and waypoints from the GPS back to your computer make a GPS a really usable navigation tool. You must have a mapping GPS that accepts downloads from Mapsource, some models don't. As I said, the Garmin E-Trex Vista looks like the best model for ATVers right now.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
>>

The vista is very comparable to the 76S. The only real differences is the number of routes you can store, course alarms, # of tracklog points, and the ability to hookup a more powerful external antenna. It is about 2&quot; longer and 2 ounces heavier but, I mount it on the atv so it's not a big deal to me. For most, I think they would rather save their $50 and get the vista

MX

Old 08-15-2002, 01:44 PM
Range Rover

Here is what mine looks like ( hope this works)

http://photos.msn.com/myfiles/folderview.aspx