Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Aligning up the 300EX HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2002, 03:23 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paul don't say that...!! This tread started as the obstacle being me not knowing what a tie rod is... thinking that's bent, I thought "no biggie... just like $4 for one." Then it goes to maybe being steering stem... "damn, over $100 for this.." Now, maybe bent frame? Geez. Like I said, I didn't take the steering stem off yet and hope that's only the problem, but we'll see. Yeah, I agree w/ you on Fudd taking a long time to hlep on this and thanks to him and yourself and everyone else that inputted their thoughts and time for me. Training 101 hasn't ever been so good.

Old 09-11-2002, 04:22 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the compliments. I don't know NEARLY as much as the rest of these people but I am learning and gaining a lot of knowledge here so I can help where I can.

I hear you on the "Don't tell me it could be the frame now", that's a $800 to $1000 part. I have had similar situations where I have had a problem with my engine and had people reply with 5 different things it could be. Talk about frustration! Turns out it was in need of a top end rebuild. Same thing with my alignment problem. I spent a lot of time trying different suggestions before I finally found the problem. I guess it just becomes trial and error.

Not to disregard what Paul said, but if nothing else, take off the steering stem and look at the flanges closely from the top looking straight down and at a different angle from straight on with the end at eye level looking at the flanges again. If they are bent, you should see it. At least this way it won't cost you any cash if it is not bent.

Old 09-12-2002, 02:43 AM
Range Rover

I too have learned alot about how to fix my quad here reading these threads. there are alot of people here who have gone though the same things we are all have been through with these machines of fun. I get alot of good advice from the veterans of this web site. I dont know anyone who likes to take there quads to the dealer to fix simple things that they could have fixed themselves. The best money I ever spent was buying a repair manusl for my quads. Most everything you need to know about fixing your quad is in the repair manuals. its all a learn as you go process.
you know you can always find used parts on this web site. there are probably a ton of people with used stock stearing stems on this web site. you can tell by reading all of the posts in the forums. check out all the racers that have all the mods on there quads. they have got to be doing something with all the stock stuff they are pulling off there quads.

Old 09-12-2002, 07:30 PM
Trailblazer

THanks again for the posts guys. Yeah, I think I'll look for a used steering stem to save some money. If it's the frame (God, I hope not..) I'm gonna dump it and buy another 400 EX. Can't see spending $800-$1000 on something I know I won't get back if I sell it. Anyway, will take her apart tonight hopefully if time permits and I'm sure I'll be writing you and whoever else will listen.

L8tr