Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rolling Stoppies....

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2002, 08:19 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm more curious about getting to the "balance point" on a wheelie. It's so easy to get her up and ride until she red lines, but how many of you get her to a point where you're not speeding up?? I don't know how easy it is to flip backwards cause like I said, I've never really reached that balance point and don't care to flip her backwards. There are times when I bring her up really quick and keep her up for a while, but I'm still accelerating, but just at a slower pace. In those times, I feel like I'm close to that point, but not sure. Give me a shout back!

Old 08-28-2002, 08:34 PM
Pro Rider

phwang,

Just a little practice...

For me 3rd gear is the easiest to wheelie in, but you can stay right on the Balance point in 1st and 2nd also.

Anyway, for practical purposes start out in 3rd gear at about 1/4 throttle. Accelerate slowly until you feel that you are in the "meat" of the powerband. You will want to gun it and pull up right at the base of the "meaty" part of the powerband.

The front end will come up fairly easily and it deffinatly has enough power to flip right over, so be careful.

Once you hit the balance point you can let off of the throttle and hold it steady about 1/4 of the way open. You will probably have to adjust between 1/4 - 1/2 throttle to keep it in the right spot, but you won't actually have to accelerate.

It's harder to explain than it is to do.

Anyway, you mentioned that you aren't sure where the balance point really is. Well, it's probably safer to find that in 1st gear. Do it on a nice flat grassy spot. Don't worry because they ATV won't go all the way over...the grab bar stops it. Stand up on the seat (because it's easier to step off if you go too far) in 1st gear and punch the gas. It's going to come right up, as you probably know. You will actually be able to FEEL the balance point if you go up high enough. It will almost feel as though your back tires are going to come out from under you. BE VERY GENTLE WITH THE TROTTLE because 1st gear is really torquey and even the slightest movement will put you on the grab bar once you get to the balance point.

Gee, other than that it's hard to explain. I would say that the balance point is about 3/4 of the way up, but that probably won't help you because once you are on the quad it is hard to how high up you are. If you are a beginner at wheelies even a small wheelie way under the balance point can feel big.

I think the best advice I can give is go right out and do some wheelies as high as you can in 1st gear. Once you hit the grab bar a few times you'll start getting the hang of it.

Take care and good luck with your wheelies.

-Josh

Old 08-28-2002, 08:38 PM
Pro Rider

By the way, once you learn this you can honestly ride wheelies until you run out of room. Right now I'm focussing on getting my tire pressures right so I can stay in a straight line.

My current wheelie record is a little bit over a 1/4 of a mile...however, the reason I didn't keep going is because I was off the side of the road.

Take care.

-Josh

Old 08-28-2002, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider

once u hit the balance point you are all set. Yoiu just have to rev it a certain amount but not over reved. do it in first and it is easy. If you want to ride them faster you can learn how to shift in a wheelie which only took me about 10 attempts or find the balance poin in a higher gear.

Old 08-28-2002, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider

yeah Piranha, I know what you are saying about everlasting wheelies. I had a friend on the back of my 250sx ATC and we rode around double for about the whole day. By the end of the day, we were riding about 1/4 mile wheelies. I tried forever to get the tire pressures right. It ISNT easy. Especially when you have one brand new right rear and one 50% tread left rear. LOL! But I got the hang of it and some times I would be able to pull it up in 4th at about 40mph. We must have been riding them it seems forever. I could always do the best on uphill roads that were curved to the right a bit. I could go forever.... Hmm.. thinking of all that reminds me how damn fun it was!

NICK