Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rancher ES Important information for all!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2002, 10:44 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2002 rancher es. I just wanted to say that after 2 weeks of owning it i am a little excited to say i havent seen a machine like this climb over logs, go through water/mud like any other quad I have owned. It is fabuolus! I was wondering though, the shifting is great. The thing gets up to speed fast. But the top speed it VERY weak. Only 49.8 or 50.1 thats it. I would have expected alot more out of the 350 engine. Is this regular for all of you that own one? LOL! I guess this is why people have a work vehical, AND then a play vehical. Turning is a nightmire. The feature to not turn the 4 wheel drive of is a BIG disandvantage. No doubt, if i did't have it i would be stuck in WI right now. But the reverse is tricky and the turning gets me frustated soemtimes. I would hope that they sell a switch you can buy to install your self to turn it on or off. Well, thanks for reading!
-Ben

Old 08-26-2002, 11:40 AM
Range Rover

that speed is definatly normal for a rancher. My brand new big bear 4x4 400 will do 45 maybe around 50 and by the way I love shifting from 4wd to 2wd! it makes a huge difference a i love fishtail and powersliding but the rancher wasn't a bad decision that was my first choice until I found out about the fulltime 4wd. have fun with it

Old 08-31-2002, 02:55 AM
Pro Rider

The ranchers engine is wound up fairly good at 50mph, I haven't tacked it but I'm sure it's right at the point where the HP goose heads south. Anotherwords for the compression and rpm the stock rancher is out of breath around 50. Higher compression with the same breathing will give a little stronger top end effeciency, greatly increased breathing will give it a stronger run up to the redline too. but it still won't go signifigantely faster, just much stronger in those top few mph.

Old 09-01-2002, 02:40 AM
Pro Rider

Christ, you people can't turn a Rancher, they turn incredibly easy, the reverse is amazingly easy to, push, pull, push and your in reverse... You think it's hard to turn a rancher, ride one of the OLD honda 350's....topped out at around 35mph too..be happy it goes 50 !

Highlifter sells an UNlocker to make it sportier..

toughen up man...

Old 09-01-2002, 06:01 PM
Pro Rider

A K&N filter and FMF MegaMax II pipe helps a bunch in the power department!! The stearing fights me a little on hardpack, and there is some bump steer, but I sure wouldn't call it a nightmare.

Old 09-02-2002, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider

Warn (winches) makes an un1ockable front driveshaft for Ranchers, so you can have either 2 or 4wd. This should make steering easier and overall riding more fun. Top speed is probably a function of CDI and realtive to the gear ratios and engine rpm. Good luck!

Old 09-04-2002, 02:24 PM
Pro Rider

The rev limiter will cut in when the rancher hits 50 or 51 mph...i've heard some people saying that they will get 60 out of a stock rancher...nope....my speedo tells me 55, but i have checked and my speedo is off by 5 mph opened up....i'm not fussy about the reverse setup but i wouldn't pick something else for that reason...and i have no problem with the steering...overall, great bike.

Old 09-04-2002, 02:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

That top speed sounds about right for a stock rancher. Keep in mind, you have a utility machine, not a straight sport machine. I drove the Rancher and liked it alot, but I opted for the Foreman for the 2wd/4wd option. It's a blast to ride and very capable of handling any work related job I have for it. My Foreman top end isn't a whole lot better than the Rancher, but it's fast enough for me! You have a great, reliable machine. Don't waste time second guessing your choice. Spend your time having fun riding!

Old 09-04-2002, 08:14 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My daughter rented a 2wd Rancher ES and on a long flat road I got it up to 52 mph, funny thing, that is as fast as my Rubicon will go. They both get to 52 and that's it, like they are governed.

I like reverse, my daughters can get it into reverse without taking their hands off the grips, I like that. Break with their right hand and foot, push the reverse button with their index finger, pull the brake lever and push the down button, piece of cake with a little practice. We have a 2002 4X4 ES Rancher.

Enjoy it,

Old 09-04-2002, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider

I've driven a couple of Ranchers with stock tires. I've found no other full time 4x4 that steers easier than the Rancher.

Quick Reply: Rancher ES Important information for all!!!!!